Mc Afee

ponytail 08:40 AM 22 Apr 12

Everytime my wife restarts her lap top she gets the following pop up message.

McAfee Security Center Application Resources caould not be loaded Successfully Please Reinstall McAfee Security Center

We do not have McAfee installed so why do we get this message and how do we stop it.

Taff™ 09:28 AM 22 Apr 12

At some point in time you've ad a McAfee security product on the system. If this has just started recently I suggest that the McAfee Security Scan, which is a freebie, may have been downloaded or installed with another program inadvertently. It's quite common.

First of all download CCleaner from here Ccleaner Free Version and make sure during the install you untick the box offering the free Google Tool bar if it is offered! Launch Ccleaner and on the left column select the blue toolbox. Check in the uninstall tab (second column) that McAfee is not mentioned - if it is uninstall it from the button "Run Uninstaller"

If there is no sign of it, to resolve you need to disable or remove the reference to it in the start up. From the toolbox select start up tab. Now look for the reference to McAfee in the column headed "File". Highlight the offending entry by selecting it and then initially disable it. Reboot and it should be gone. If som return to Ccleaner and delete it altogether.

Pine Man 09:50 AM 22 Apr 12
  ponytail 09:55 AM 22 Apr 12

Thank's Taff that seems to have done the trick it was listed when I selected start up tab and is no longer there and did not appear when I rebooted the laptop and it always did.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:02 AM 22 Apr 12

My be better to run the unistall tool.

AV programs resist normal uninstalling as this could be initiated by virus or malware.

There may still be remnants of McAfee in your system that could cause problems if you attempt to install another Antivirus program.

Taff™ 10:02 AM 22 Apr 12

Good link Pine Man and that would be the second option. McAfee recommends that you use the programs uninstall method first before using their own tool which clears out registry remnants as well. Link to Mcafee Instructions for their removal tool The method I described runs their own uninstaller first via Ccleaner. (The original post didn't state which OS so I opted for this method to keep it simpler. Personally I would use Revo but in the hands of a novice it can be daunting as well as dangerous!) :0;

Taff™ 10:04 AM 22 Apr 12

We've all cross posted! You can now run Pine Mans tool as well. Won't do any harm. Just watch in future the "freebies" that come with other software!

Taff™ 10:13 AM 22 Apr 12

Thanks for coming back to us! Here's the basic guide from Seagate Installing Sata drive

Next there's the interactive troubleshooter Troubleshooting a Seagate Sata drive installation

Never had to do this myself so wait and see if Fruit Bat /\0/\ has any comments.

Taff™ 10:15 AM 22 Apr 12

Ignore that last post - should have gone in another thread!

spuds 10:58 AM 22 Apr 12

Depending on the age of the laptop, you might find that the McAfee software was installed as a freebie or trial ware, at the time of purchase, as one of those once regular incentive to buy the laptop?.

Might pay to check and see if other programs are lurking in the background, and on the HD?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off