MBR questions regarding Paragon and Acronis.

mooly 19:21 02 Jan 11

A friend has a W7 64 bit Toshiba laptop and we have been trying Paragon backup... it's far to slow and unfriendly and I want them to switch to Acronis if possible.

I have heard that Paragon may have modded the Master Boot Record. If so would doing a "startup repair" from the hidden partion rebuild this. Would it even identify it as having been modified as the laptop of course works perfectly. According to the user manual "start up repair" is one of the recovery options available by pressing F8 at boot.

Or... does it even matter. Could Paragon just be uninstalled and Acronis installed without doing anything.

Any advice welcome. I have never had need to run a start up repair ever and as this is a friends laptop I don't want to make a mess of it.

woodchip 20:31 02 Jan 11

Startup Repair will not correct the Partition unless its not working, What about running the Restore disc?

PS if you have an Acronis CD you can boot with it, it may correct the Partition if you look at the program.

Otherwise this will fix the Partition, I know it works as I have used it click here Read through it and download the correct version

mooly 07:39 03 Jan 11

Thanks woodchip. They haven't got recovery discs (yet... we have to burn them).
I do have an Acronis disc, mine which is an old version now, and the new one we want to install. Which was free from Argos with another purchase would you believe.

Thanks for the link... tbh I think that would be a last resort.

Just trying to cover all bases really, there may not even be a problem in the end.

mooly 12:06 04 Jan 11

Just to update this thread.
Acronis installed OK with no issues. Thinking more about this, as Acronis simply images the drive, then as the PC is 100% operational anyway it should just image and restore what is there.

I suspect it was a non issue... just me be over cautious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant