M/board m848a. New graphics card req,d.Any ideas ?

Nipsen 2 20:13 08 Nov 04

Neighbour asked me about a new graphics card for is computer. motherboard is M848A Series, V2.1 DDR333.(He want's it to play the latest games)
WINXP PRO. AMD ATHLONE 1.25 ghs. 512 RAM. His card at the moment is a nvidia GForce 4 MX440 with AGP 8X. Is it possible to improve the Performance with a new card (£50 to £100) He's on a limited budget (I will fit it)? Any suggestion's Thank,s in advance.

Nipsen 2 22:13 08 Nov 04

bump

Carpigiani 22:30 08 Nov 04

If your neighbour is prepared to go just a little over the £100, the Gainward Fx 5700 Ultra 128MB AGPx8 Golden Sample is not a bad card for someone on a limited budget.
It won't give the best frame rates with some of the latest games, but we have had one in one of our systems for some time now & my 16 year old son hasn't complained too much.

Nipsen 2 23:30 08 Nov 04

Thanks Carpigiani, will have a word with him tomorrow.

Nipsen 2 09:41 09 Nov 04

bump
anymore suggestions would be welcome, thank you,Nipsen.

Jdoki 10:34 09 Nov 04

It depends on what he means by the 'latest games', and what level of detail/frame rate he's prepared to accept.

Something like Doom 3, even with a better video card will struggle on his specs. Half Life 2 is very scalable (from what I hear), but to see it close to how 'the developers intended' would require a meaty CPU and graphics card and more memory. And stuff like Everquest 2, well, not much chance there really.

To put it in to some sort of perspective.

I just upgraded from an:
Athlon 1900
GeForce 4 4200Ti 64Mb
1GB RAM

to

Athlon64 3500
GeForce 6800GT 256MB
1GB RAM

With my original spec Doom 3 was running in 640x480 resolution, low detail, and had a very low framerate when the action started heating up.

And on the new system EverQuest 2 still can not be run at highest detail settings.

If he really does want to shell out about 100quid then ebuyer click here have some good cards available.

I would recommend:
ATI Radeon X600PRO 256MB

But he should note that because his CPU is relatively 'slow' in PC gaming terms he will not be seeing the full potential of his new card. In some games he will hit a maximum frame rate lower than what the graphics card could do if coupled with a faster CPU and more RAM.

Apologies for the length of the post and amount of waffle!

Nipsen 2 12:40 09 Nov 04

Thanks Jdoki & Carpigiani for the advice I will give Him the news, & let you know what he decides. nipsen.

Nipsen 2 18:14 09 Nov 04

Hi Carpigiani & Jdoki My neighbour still can,t make his mind up.
A question for Jdoki or Carpigiani would the Radeon X600PRO 256MB DDR PCI-Express DVI-I TV-Out be o.k. in his computer (PCI-express) ?
He has AGP slot. I know he has 5 PCI slots on his M.B. Thanks again Nipsen

Carpigiani 20:39 09 Nov 04

As far as I am aware PCI Express is different to a standard PCI Bus. I think your neighbour wiil need to be satisfied with another AGP card for his motherboard. PCI express will definitely not fit an AGP slot.
I stand to be corrected by someone with more knowledge on this subject.

Carpigiani 20:40 09 Nov 04

Just found this click here

Nipsen 2 21:16 09 Nov 04

Thanks Carpigiani I will have a read & try & digest it. Nipsen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…