Mayday. DVD Rom has disappeared

tkidcharlemagne 00:31 07 Oct 04

New system yesterday. High end XP Professional. Working fine. Had installed a game through the rom drive, playing fine. Big problems now though. DVD ROM/DVD RW drives no longer on My computer. Not in device manager. They have completely vanished. What could possibly have happened.

I have been in BIOS but not sure what to do or look for. I need help!!

tkidcharlemagne 00:33 07 Oct 04

P.S The light comes on the drive when I put in a disc, then total inactivity.

Ive 00:41 07 Oct 04

Take the side off tower and make sure all the leads are pushed on firmly on drives. I have a brand new pc and the smart card reader drive dissapeared from my computer tonight. I have just had the side off and looked at the leads and they looked ok but I removed the connection from the main board end and then put it back and all is now working again.

JonnyTub 00:44 07 Oct 04

uninstall the ide chanel the drives sit on if the the last suggestion doesn't work.

tkidcharlemagne 00:56 07 Oct 04

tried the leads still no luck. There are a couple of open ended ones but I don't think they came loose from anywhere. How do I uninstall the ide chanel by the way. I'm not that experienced at this type of business.

JonnyTub 01:01 07 Oct 04

device manager, look for ide/atapi controllers, right click and select uninstall, reboot and windows will automatically re-install the original drivers should the previous ones have become corrupted.

tkidcharlemagne 01:09 07 Oct 04

yep uninstalled primary and secondary ide controllers. Rebooted windows installed. Still no DVD ROM drive in my computer or device manager.

JonnyTub 01:16 07 Oct 04

ok then, seen as this is a new system and you've tried a few methods, take it back!! it shouldn't be playing up like this and you shouldn't have to come here for a system that's only one day old.

Lost dvd/ cd drives are notoriously difficult to diagnose, i always suggest uninstalling the ide channel first incase the drivers have become corrupt, in this case i would suggest going no further and getting it replaced or repaired.

tkidcharlemagne 01:20 07 Oct 04

thks will get onto Scan about it first thing. This is a very expensive system and I am not best pleased.

Danoh 01:45 07 Oct 04

1) When I connected an old parallel-port Iomega Zip drive (250Mb, wow….:-( ) and installed software, etc for it.

When I do not have it powered up, for some reason the DVD drive disappears in the manner you have described. If I have it powered on before booting up the PC, the DVD drive reappears.

2) When I had a DVD drive replaced, the untraceable cause of the DVD drive “disappearing” went away. No one was any the wiser as to why, even after several on-site engineer visits.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…