this may sound dumb...

Slim Shady 15:21 09 Feb 06

Is there anyway a broadband modem can 'burn out' a USB port? I only ask as last October my mother bought a new PC from Novatech and was using it for dial-up which was fine. In December she upgraded to broadband (same ISP - Tiscali, if it matters) and she's now had to plug the modem they sent into its fourth USB port as the others no longer recognise the modem.

Actually, I've just had a thought that she probably hasn't tried any other decives in these ports to check that but does anybody have any possible reasons for the ports just giving up the ghost?

Thanks in advance.

skidzy 15:59 09 Feb 06

Hello Slim....There seems to be quite a lot of usb problems lately on here,there is a method that has helped several people to remedy this problem,not conventional but works in some cases.There are a few threads pointing this out.Ok....turn the power off at the wall socket,hold your start button in for 20-30 seconds without the power on...after 20-30 seconds reboot the system and try your usb again...Like i say,its works for some and not others...Just make sure you any opened programs closed down first before switching off at the wall socket.
The link below is an earlier thread.

click here

Slim Shady 22:35 09 Feb 06

Cheers skidzy, will try it on the weekend and let you know whether or not it works. Sorry for not checking for other threads on the subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…