Maxtor One Touch

Jeffers22 14:54 05 Feb 05

I like the look of this drive but before I purchase it, I need a question answered.

Can it (USB2 version) be "seen" by Partition Magic. It is absolutely essential that I am able to get at it and set it to logical, then partition it.

Thanks in advance

ZZET 15:35 05 Feb 05

I have one and it already comes formatted in fat32,it can be seen as a drive in my computer.
Hope this helps.

Magik ®© 15:41 05 Feb 05

as above, it is already fat32 and ready to go, why would you want to partition it?

Jeffers22 15:41 05 Feb 05

Thanks for the response, but that doesn't quite answer my question as to whether it can be seen in Partition Magic. I need to be able to set it as Logical rather thanPrimary.

Jeffers22 15:43 05 Feb 05

The partitioning is less important than the ability to set it to logical. That bit is essential. If I can't see it in PM and set to logical it is a drop dead point.

freaky 15:57 05 Feb 05

If you add any make of External Hard Drive then Partition Magic will see it, this is because Device Manager recognises it as a Hard Drive and will give it a drive letter.

The fact that your external hard drive is connected to USB2 is immaterial to your question.

If you buy a large capacity external hard drive, then it might be advantageous to format it as NTFS rather than Fat32.

This is because NTFS can read files larger than 4.0 GB, whereas Fat32 cannot. This is handy if you want to use the drive to store back-up images of Drive C, as you would need less image files to store the data.

Jeffers22 16:34 05 Feb 05

Thanks for that. I am reassured by what you say, because if I cannot set an external disk to logical it will cause huge problems - I run HyperOs and all disks and partitions other than C: (Which has no OS on it) MUST be logical and not Primary. A second primary partition will kill HyperOs.

On the subject of NTFS, I am extremely unlikely to have a file much in excess of 3Gb so will stick with FAT32 unless circumstances alter, but thanks for the reminder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…