Maxtor not recognised

centaur 11:56 10 Apr 04

I am installing a Maxtor 40Gb ATA133 as the master on an older PC running Win 98 and an Award BIOS. I have set the jumper on the hdd to master but on boot up the BIOS halts at "Detecting Hard Drive" I therefore need the spec. to manually insert "Type, Cyls, Heads, Precomp, Landz, Sector" (whatever the latter 3 are). The Mode can be set to LBA or Large so I am assuming that the size of the new hdd should not be a problem. I have checked Maxtors' web site but the tech. info is lacking. Has anyone any ideas ?
Thanks.

christmascracker 12:08 10 Apr 04

click here

I used Maxblast to set up my new maxtor drive a couple of weeks ago.

bremner 12:08 10 Apr 04

If you have Maxblast 3 with the drive you can use that to install the drive.

If not it can be downloaded here click here= and

christmascracker 13:28 10 Apr 04

Received by email

"christmascracker and bremner. Thanks for the Info. All looks straightfroward, but we know that it probably won't be the case"

It's best to keep replies within the forum, where everyone can see and therefor help further.

If you get further problems, start a new thread where I'm sure someone will be able to help

SEASHANTY 14:31 10 Apr 04

As the new drive is ATA133 it will require an 80
connector ribbon cable. Presumably as this is an older PC the original HDD IDE ribbon cable is only
40 connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…