Maxtor hard drive seen in bios but

alsavs 16:00 19 Dec 04

i tried to install a maxtor hard drive that can be seen by the bios but i cannot access it.Ribbon cables are ok and power ok.Run maxtor diagonostic disks which failed to find the hard drive.Any thoughts.Cheers

powerless 16:04 19 Dec 04

Start, Run, Type:

Diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

If it's a second drive it should as Disk1.

Can it be seen from here?

alsavs 17:34 19 Dec 04

Hi Powerless
Thanks for the reply.Unfortunately it is going to be the primary drive so there is no operating system on it.I tried a win 98 boot disk which saw the cd drive ok but failed to see hard drive.
Im thinking maybe only way forward is to install in another machine as secondary drive and see what happens.

Totally-braindead 17:43 19 Dec 04

You should have the disk entitled Maxblast 3 if you don't you can download it from the Maxtor website. Boot from the floppy drive with this disk in, then format it, follow the options from the disk and you shouldn't have a problem. I think the problem you've been having is Bios recognises the drive but you can't install windows on it or get windows to recognise it until its formatted.

alsavs 18:15 19 Dec 04

Hi Totally-Braindead.Have tried Maxblast 3 that did not see the drive either.You could be on the right track regarding windows not recognising it until its formated but if its not seen how do you format it.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

keith-236785 18:50 19 Dec 04

use the win98 boot disk to start the pc, at the menu, press shift+f5 to goto a command prompt.

once done, type

fdisk +press enter

once started, press enter to enable large disk support. then you should get another menu

just press enter because 1 is already selected.

wait while it counts up to 100%

then press enter to use all the space as one drive and make it active.

once done, esc out of fdisk and when prompted restart the pc (press ctrl+alt+del)

reboot with the boot disk in, this time choose option2 to start without cdrom support.

once done, at the prompt A:> type D: +press enter

prompt will now be D:>

type format c:

accept warning and wait, once done restart pc again and you should now be able to install windows.

if there is anything you dont understand or need more help, just ask.

good luck

Rayuk 19:22 19 Dec 04

Is it a sata drive

Rayuk 19:24 19 Dec 04

Sory my mistake you are using ribbon cables so its not sata

alsavs 19:33 19 Dec 04

Thanks for that paperman27 fully understood i shall give that a go with fingers crossed.

keith-236785 20:18 19 Dec 04

you are welcome mate, let us know how you get on and dont forget to tick as resolved when it is.

the-george 21:36 19 Dec 04

Could you please explain the purpose of changing drive to D: before formatting C:
As I see it, if cdrom support is not enabled there will be no drive D: however, I am always willing to learn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…