maxtor external harddrive failure after defragment

Frantic 10:49 26 Apr 07

hello.i am new to these forums today as i am in a spot of bother.I defragmented both my internal harddrive and one of my external harddrives yesturday using perfectdisk 8.0. The internal worked fine but after defraggin my external the thing doesn't work. It also makes my computer run slow when i turn it on. For example....if i click to open my computer while the drive is turned on nothing happens except the egg timer.As soon as i turn it off the my computer screen pops up instantly.I have done a system restore but with no luck. Another point that mite be of some use is that my internal drive is lettered F. i dont know why this is. My externals are then G and C. The harddrive in question is the one lettered C. however, i have been running my computer months with this setup with no problems untill i defragmented yesturday.It holds all my music!!! I need it to return to life. It is a maxtor one touch 120gb.i would much appreciate any help. Thankyou.

ArrGee 10:54 26 Apr 07

The external should not be popping up as C. If the drive is in a caddy, remove it and make sure the jumpers on the back are set to slave and not master.

ArrGee 10:56 26 Apr 07

If you are worried that you have lost your music files (after you have set the jumpers correctly and checked), download and run this free data recovery application:

click here

Frantic 01:14 27 Apr 07

I will check the jumpers....however....the drive letters have been like this since i reinstalled xp months ago and all has been fine untill i defragmented the drive.I also ran this external usb harddrive before i reinstalled xp months ago and the letter was H i believe.It has never been removed from its outer casing either so i doubt the jumper switch is incorrect.ive downloaded the program u advised and i shall try it tomorrow although the drive isn't cooperating at all so im not sure how this will work. Thanks for your help...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…