Maxtor Ex.H.D needs drivers-Help!!

buel 12:58 04 May 09

Hi, about a year ago i bought an Maxtor external hard dive which didn't need any drivers and didn't have any software with it as it was advertised as not needing any, i have just connected it to a pc and the Found New Hardware tab has come up on my screen asking for the cd-rom but i have no cd-rom, please can anyone explain what i need to do?
The h.d isn't appearing in the 'my computer' window!!

skidzy 14:18 04 May 09

As this is a removal drive,drivers should not be required unless you have connected to a machine of windows 98 or earlier.

Check in Disc Management first and if it is shown,right click and assign a new drive letter (such as Z ).

buel 14:20 04 May 09

Thanks for that, where do i find disk management please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:23 04 May 09

My computer -right click - manage -storage - dis management.

buel 14:35 04 May 09

Ok, i see:
Removable storage (extension snap-in)
Disk Defragmenter (extension snap-in)
Disk management(local) Snap-in

When i double click in Deisk management the only hard drive it sees is the c drive!

buel 14:36 04 May 09

Ps- in device manager, disk drives it sees the maxtor!!

buel 14:45 04 May 09

What can i do now please?

buel 15:26 04 May 09

What can i do now please?

Stuartli 15:43 04 May 09

As it is presumably a USB drive, you should leave your system switched off initially.

Connect the power adapter from the mains to the hard drive and then the USB cable from the drive to your system.

Press and hold the external hard drive's button until the Power On point appears.

Now turn on the power to your computer system.

To undertake Disk Management, use Disk Wizard:

click here (Seagate/Maxtor website link)

Other Seagate/Maxtor software:

click here

click here

buel 15:54 04 May 09

Thanks for that! Just a point- i have no power button on the maxtor(yes it is usb)

buel 16:31 04 May 09

Thanks for that! Just a point- i have no power button on the maxtor(yes it is usb)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced