maxtor 250gb external usb/firewire corrupt

second best 22:33 23 Sep 05

hi, i have been trying all day to fix my aiptek hyperpen, to no avail, and it turns out now that my external maxtor drive is now corrupt and unreadable, i can't do a thing with it, have tried reinstalling drivers, but i'll give it another go. any ideas. i have all my work and digital photographs form the past year on there, without any back up, we live and learn.

gudgulf 22:39 23 Sep 05

Try plugging the external HD into another pc and see if that can read it....It may be a problem on your pc rather than the external drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 23 Sep 05

Sounds more like a USB problem.

ninstall ALL the USB drivers and REBOOT the PC before reinstalling.

second best 23:11 23 Sep 05

well, the thought had crossed my mind, so i changed it to firewire, which it was originally. and i still can't access it. i must have damages the mbr, need soem recovery software i think

Cuddles 12:07 24 Sep 05

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:26 24 Sep 05

Maxblast4 click here

second best 15:39 24 Sep 05

hi, i have dloaded maxblast, but i dont know what to do with it, ultimately, i want to retrieve my data, not just format, it is only a storage drive, so will there be an mbr on it, is it this what is damaged and corrupt?

Cuddles 17:49 30 Sep 05

Try this drive rescue from click here

matt-few 18:06 30 Sep 05

Last weekend I had the same problem with my Maxtor OneTouch II 300gb USB drive - either not showing the drive or showing the drive as locked (trying to see if rebooting if rebooting would do anthing different). The Maxtor software could not find it.

My laptop (from the same company as my desktop) also showed the same - tried again on my desktop and windows would not load - told either corrupt windows files or psu problem.

My laptop is still showing the maxtor as a locked drive but was removed a week ago and has been turned off after every use since then (at least 10 times).

However, the drive worked fine on my friend's pc, but the rear fan on the external drive smells like it's burning inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freaky 20:35 30 Sep 05

Maxtor have an excellent reputation for their after-sales service and email support.

Strongly suggest you contact them before you do anything drastic !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…