Maxtor 1TB 3.5" Shard External Drive - file share

bokvis 09:26 15 Feb 08

Rally appreciate someone's help comments as a complete novice.

Current setup
Sony Vaio VGN-A397XP Laptop
Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop
Netgear 108 Mbps wireless router

Question
I need to share information or create a central data base (basic excel, word docs) between the 2 laptops. Sometimes i take one laptop when i travel so information needs to remain for other laptop to access.

Can i use the Maxtor 1TB Shard External drive for this application - just plug it in to the router - or what do you suggest to creat a basic network.

Apologise if this is really basic. Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you

Taff™ 09:50 15 Feb 08

That might be overkill unless you need all that storage space. Just how big are the "Common" files?

I have a similar situation and run my business from home where I have several computers and a laptop. I keep all my business files on the laptop and back up the entire system to a 250 Gb external hard drive using Acronis True Image. All my essential business files including database, spreadsheets and documents will actually fit on a 1gb encrypted memory stick so I carry that on my key ring.

I also leave a copy of all my business documents on a second computer at home which is wireless networked. The only problem with this is that I have to remember to synchronise the files and keep them updated with the latest version. It takes less than 10 minutes to do this on all the media I use.

bokvis 10:07 15 Feb 08

Firstly thank you for the prompt response..

I have a huge amount of spreadsheets,and other excel files etc

The solution what i am looking for is that at the moment i do delivery notes on excel and keep it on my laptop. I am just about to employ someone, hence we both need to access a "central database" especially when my laptop is out the office - also obviously if i am processing i.e. order number 1 the other person can access and process order no 2......

This also goes for stock lists - sort of have a live system you can access from either laptop

Not sure if this makes sense......

Sorry

Taff™ 06:55 16 Feb 08

Can you quantify "Huge Amount" and the number of files. Assuming they are all in the same folder open Windows Explorer, right click the folder and select properties. After a few seconds you will get the information.

Your problem is that two people need to access the same files at the same time. One Office based and the other remotely. Back in the old days when I was on the road selling I used to get a basic spreadsheet giving me stock levels as at the close of business every day and my orders were sent to the office for processing via post. (e-mail replaced this later) The main database was obviously held at base.

Presumably you can connect to your office system remotely from the laptop using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) If so you will have problems if both users are accessing the same files simultaneously. If this can`t be avoided you need Office Exchange Server which should give you this facility. Bit out of my depth here as I`ve never had to do this myself. I`ll do a bit of research.

Taff™ 08:29 16 Feb 08

Found this which suggests that sharing Excel files can be shared in real time.VoG™ might be the best at confirming this works if he spots this thread. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…