Maxtor 160 HDD Desktop Not Recognised

peter4076 15:58 01 Mar 05

Running WinXP with two internal drives and 3 external desktop drives, have just purchased 160 gig Maxtor and caddy,and connected up to the Puta, WinXP found the hardware and said it was working! went to "My Computer" NOT THERE went to EXPLORER not there either went to the removal of hardware icon dbl clicked and there it was in all it's glory with NO drive letter.
Before putting it in the caddy I put the jumper on "cable Select" have I done something wrong, the HDD came straight out of the box into the caddy, can anybody help me out please, all input gratefully received.

Pine Man 16:04 01 Mar 05

Have you formatted the new drive?

peter4076 16:14 01 Mar 05

No I haven't, so should I Fdisk & Format?

Pine Man 16:16 01 Mar 05

Go to Maxtors web site and download MaxBlast. It is Maxtors own software for setting up hard drives. It will also help with setting partitions if you need them.

peter4076 16:24 01 Mar 05

Thankyou Pine Man, so you ARE saying it has to be formattedd, I have a Maxblast floppy disk can I do the formatting from my puta via the USB2 cable to my caddy with the 160 gig not on show in my computer, explorer, but on show in Device Manager & hardware removal. hope that makes sense, or do i have to do it via the ide as master or slave.

Pine Man 16:27 01 Mar 05

Yes, all new drives have to be formatted.

It will be much easier if you do it connected to an IDE socket. I have had a similar problem to you with a hard drive connected through a PCI card and I could not format it other than by connecting it to an IDE socket.

Good luck!

peter4076 16:31 01 Mar 05

Thanks alot Pine Man, It makes sense really, will tick now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…