Maximum RAM for a Medion MD5000 motherboard?

Cybermaxx 15:52 29 Dec 03

I am confused... I have a Medion PC. It says on the packaging that it's motherboard can handle a maximum of 1 Gigabyte of RAM.

Earlier this year I became curious about the components in my PC, so I contacted Medion and they informed me that my PC was fitted with a Medion MD5000 motherboard.

Today, I ran a Google search for "MD5000 MOTHERBOARD SPECIFICATION". I found a PDF manual for a Medion MD5000 M-ATX motherboard. This is great, I thought, I can find out all about it's AGP capabilities etc. A nice diagram of it. yeah, that's the one, 3 PCI slots, two DIMM slots, etc.

Wait a minute, though. It says that the maximum amount of RAM is 2 Gigabytes! Each slot can handle from 64 MB to 1 Gigabyte each! Great! Maybe the packaging contained a misprint....

Tried to phone Medion to find out the truth. No answer, music and "hold the line" messages. Typical of them from my experience! If anyone knows the truth about the memory, I would love to know now! Sorry for rambling on, but, yeah, I really would love to know.......

Trackrat 15:57 29 Dec 03

If you have 2 DIMM slots it is possible that they will both take 1gb of ram and the blurb on the packaging just tells you the maximum ram for each slot

Vixenight 19:02 29 Dec 03

Cybermaxx I have a Medion 5000 Comp which is excellent According to the Info file the memory can be up to 2GB ie IGb in each slot. Vixenight

Cybermaxx 19:06 29 Dec 03

Which info file is that, Vixenight?

Vixenight 22:46 30 Dec 03

Try Start Programs and User Guides on your Comp I presume that all Medions have this installed the User guides give lots of info about all aspects of your machine including M/Board, graphics card etc Vixenight

hugh-265156 22:58 30 Dec 03

do you know the pc model no.? click here click "find your system here" then "more manufacturers" and select medionand the medion model for info.

Cybermaxx 19:32 31 Dec 03

Thanks Vixenight, I'll have a look-see.

And thanks for the link, huggy. Unfortunately, my PC is not listed (it's a Medion PC MT6).

Cybermaxx 19:46 31 Dec 03

It's no use, Vixenight. The information is not there.

hugh-265156 01:47 01 Jan 04

bump!

Vixenight 20:39 01 Jan 04

How old is your comp Mine is 1yr old and in info states Main memory supports 2 184-pin DDR DIMMS
Up to 2GB PC 2700?2100?1600 DDR SDRAMS
2.5v DDR SDRAM My M/Board is Micro Star MS-6701
The only time I contacted Medion I found them very helpful. Hope this helps

Cybermaxx 22:08 01 Jan 04

I bought it in March , and yes, it uses PC 2700 RAM in two DIMM slots. Still waiting for a reply to my email to Medion. No reply to my phone calls! I think it is 2 GB maximum. I hope so, anyway. Yippee!

Now the race is on to see whether the P4 2.66 CPU becomes useless for new games before 2 GB of RAM is required. Should be interesting to see the outcome.

There is no detailed technical knowledge supplied with my PC, just a vague paper manual which is also installed on the hard drive. Anyway, I'll close this thread now, and wait for Medion's reply. Thanks to all who have posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…