maximum drive size - WinXP

Muzziad 12:15 09 Aug 03

Yesterday i bought a WD 200gb drive from Scan. I installed it but Windows (XP Home) wouldn't see it in explorer, although it showed up in Device Manager/System Info etc.

I called Scan and was told by their Tech Support I would have to get a partitioning utility as Windows XP cannot see drives over 137gb in size.

I'm amazed about this, i'd have thought that an OS as recent as this could handle larger sizes. Anyway, can anyone recommend a good partitioning utility, preferably an easy to use free shareware one.

The Sack 12:21 09 Aug 03

XP can see as big as you want it to be (effectivley), the limitation is your BIOS. For drives over 137GB your BIOS need to support 48bit logical block addressing.

Check for a BIOS update on your mobo makers website.

The Sack 12:25 09 Aug 03

I was presuming you have SP1 installed BTW.

For more info click here

The Sack 12:26 09 Aug 03

Hey ho :-\ try again.

click here

Muzziad 12:29 09 Aug 03

I am formatting it this very moment using XP Disk Management and it seemed perfectly happy with me setting the partition size to the actual disk size of 186.31gb. Also it now appears in explorer, problem seems to be solved!

The Sack 12:31 09 Aug 03

I would phone scam back and tell them they are talking cobblers while it is doing it then :-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…