maximum Distance for ethernet cable CAT 5

Rabi 22:50 07 Nov 04

What is the maximum length of cable I can run from a 24 Port 10/100 Switch to a workstation?

And, whatever this maximum length is, if I need to run a cable to a PC further away than this length, would it be better for me to Run the cable to a smaller switch (say, a 5 Port) and then run a shorter cable to the PC Workstation?

hugh-265156 23:25 07 Nov 04
  Rabi 23:35 07 Nov 04

Thank you, maximum length noted.
However, I just measured distance, and it is 150 metres. Should I place another switch 75 metres down the cable length, and connect another 75 metres acble to the other PC Workstation?

Thanks for your reply

cherria 11:06 08 Nov 04

Before you buy another switch, why not just run out the 2x 75m of cable with a connector and see if it works. You'll need this in any case and you might find it works just fine.

Rabi 12:13 08 Nov 04

Cherria,

Okay, will try, but would like to know for future reference if connecting the switch would, all things being equal, immediately solve the distance problem.

Thanks

Trolley 12:53 08 Nov 04

It would do, but in effect slow down the connection as there is another thing for the data to pass through.

Connecting the cables using 2 RJ45 connectors and a coupler would suffice though providing the connection is kept dry. (As all the cable should be.)

cherria 09:45 09 Nov 04

On the definition of "slow down the connection". I think to be precise, it would increase the lag between request for data and data receipt but would not slow down throughput. So for large file retrieval, it would not make that much difference but for internet viewing, you may notice a slight increase in time lag.

Rabi 14:53 09 Nov 04

Thank you both,

Can't get a coupler here, can I just use an RJ45 connector (male) and a socket(female) as the bridge?

Thanks

Rabi 22:42 09 Nov 04

Thank you both,

Can't get a coupler here, can I just use an RJ45 connector (male) and a socket(female) as the bridge?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…