Max Hard Disk size with FAT32

Yorick 23:19 23 Jun 04

I am quite unable to create a Hard Drive partition greater than about 32Mb using FAT32. The Gigabyte Help Line says I should be able to. Other clever folk say so also, but I can't manage it Who's right please ?

Dan the Confused 23:45 23 Jun 04

I assume you mean 32gb. What motherboard do you have?

Dan the Confused 00:03 24 Jun 04

Actually, found this click here
so I think WinXP has a 32gb limit for FAT32 (could be same for other Windows versions) but no limit for NTFS.

temp003 00:58 24 Jun 04

FAT32 as a file system can go well beyond 32GB (although when it gets too large, it tends to slow down).

But XP and Windows 2000 (whether in Setup during installation or within Windows itself) cannot format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 format. They can still read and write to such a partition, you just need to create and format the partition using a 98 boot floppy first, then these OS's can work with the partition.

If you are using fdisk to create the partition, remember to say yes to large disk support.

SEASHANTY 09:57 24 Jun 04

^

mrdsgs 10:02 24 Jun 04

alternatively, get partition magic.

partition perhaps 30gb with fat32, then when it has done it, resize it to what ever you want. I have 80gb partitions using fat32.

mrdsgs

Yorick 11:01 24 Jun 04

Booting with W98, using Fdisk set for large,
does NOT work.
I like the idea of using PArtition Magic to fool
it though an I shall try that.

Yorick 11:02 24 Jun 04

does NOT work.

Yorick 11:02 24 Jun 04

does NOT work.

temp003 12:45 24 Jun 04

Does BIOS report the correct hdd size? If not, that's where you should trouble-shoot. If BIOS reports the correct disk size, download a new 98 boot floppy from click here and try again.

But if you're happy with giving PM a go, that's fine.

stlucia 12:56 24 Jun 04

I have an 80Gb single partition disk for video work, created using fdisk and format under Win 98SE without any assistance from Partition Magic, or whatever. So, as temp003 says, the problem may be in your BIOS. It could also be that you need to get an up to date version of fdisk and format -- early versions did have some kind of a limit on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…