Max filesize exceeded

johnincrete 17:14 01 Jun 09

Importing video from Samsung camcorder using Windows Movie maker, I got the error "Maximum file size 4Gb exceeded in FAT" or something similar. I was storing the video on an external drive which is FAT.
Whatever program I use to access the file just aborts. Explorer gies error message. WMM & Adobe Premier Elements just abort with no error message.
My hard drive is NTFS and is nearly full because I moved stuff from the external drive to make space for the video.
Any suggestions?
What is the maximum files size in NTFS - could I copy the folder to the hard drive & then get access?

Technotiger 17:22 01 Jun 09

Re-format the external drive to NTFS.

If using XP (I don't know about Vista) you could Run the command CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS note the space and instead of C: put the letter for your external drive.

johnincrete 17:46 01 Jun 09

Thanks
Questions:
1. Do I have to remove all data before re-format?
2. Will the reformatted drive allow me to access a 4GB file?

Technotiger 17:50 01 Jun 09

1. No, you will not lose any data.

2. Yes.

Technotiger 17:51 01 Jun 09

PS - you are not actually Re-formatting, you are Converting the File System from FAT to NTFS.

DieSse 17:54 01 Jun 09

As with any file system operations, you should save any existing data first, for safety.

The time to wish you'd saved it is not just after the operation goes wrong!!

johnincrete 06:59 04 Jun 09

I have converted the file system as recommended and Explorer will open the folder that the big file is in but after a couple of seconds it gives the error that says it must close down.
However, while the explorer eror message is displayed, I can access the other files in the folder & have moved them to another folder. I can even double click on the big file & it plays in Windows Media Player (it's a video) and right-click to display its properties.
I am going to cut my losses and delete the file and accept that I have wasted a lot of time.
Thanks everyone - as ever

Technotiger 08:36 04 Jun 09

If you have not deleted it yet - have you got the latest Codecs for XP ... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…