Max broadband erratic speed test results?

Blake7 14:23 13 May 06

I'm with Virgin.net and was originally on 1Mbs ADSL (couldn't get 2Mb as the line wasn't good enough at the time). Anyway now I've been 'maxed' on 9th May for up to 8Mbs MaxADSL.

Synched at 2.9Mbs. Line attenuation 55.5db - SNR 6db - 4.1km from exchange as the crow flies.

Day 1 - averaging 1.9Mbs
Day 2 - averaging 2.3Mbs
Day 3 - averaging 2.3Mbs
Day 4 - averaging 1.8Mbs
Day 5 - averaging 1.9Mbs so far

So why all the erratic speed results? The best results were on days 2 and 3 with a 2.3Mbs speed test but now I'm back down to 1.9Mbs.
Is there any way to improve my speed and SNR?

BJN 14:41 13 May 06

ok Blake7 try reading the FAQ on the nildram site its very informative, the link is below.

click here

But remeber it's an upto 8mb service and the seed can variy depending on your exchange congestion and other connections on the net as well as your telelphone line.. BT are having problems with Max 8mb atm but they will not admit it to the public. They have rooled out fster speeds with out increasing the bandwidth to exchnages no wonder speeds change. I went back to my stable 2mb line after one month on max 8mb, read my thread on this forum

Bj

BJN 14:44 13 May 06

opps, just remebered what are you using for your speed testing, the only true speed test is using the BT owen speed test domain. You need to login to this domain by changing the login on your modem/router

User name:

BJN 14:46 13 May 06

opps, just remebered what are you using for your speed testing, the only true speed test is using the BT owen speed test domain. You need to login to this domain by changing the login on your modem/router

User name: [email protected]_domain
Password eneter any it does not need one

then aonce connected enter the Ip 217.32.105.42 into your browser and then aonce page load put in your telephone number, the test results are logged with BT so if you have any faults they can access your speed tests.

Bj

woodchip 14:55 13 May 06

It's determining the best speed for your line

Blake7 16:02 13 May 06

BJN, can't get on to BT's speedtester. I've been using the adslguides speed test click here

BJN 16:27 13 May 06

the BT speed tester you have to enter the user name into your modem settings ie change your present login details to the user name in above post and use anything as a password. then log back onto the internet, you will now be loggged onto a BT domain instead if your normal ISP

then enter the above IP into your web browser and connect to the BT speed test.

sorry I did not give clearer instructions above.

once finshed change login details back to your normal settings and log back onto net using your ISP domain.

Bj

Blake7 17:15 13 May 06

OK got on to BT's speed test. It says I'm getting 1909Kbs which is basically what all the other speed tests say. I'm disappointed at my speed after having a brief glimpse of 2.3Mbs a couple of days ago. Will my speed improve again?

Totally-braindead 17:28 13 May 06

The results you're getting aren't erratic at all. You can't expect the speed to be the same all the time there must be some give and take. I'm on 1mb BB and normally get speeds about 900Kbs, sometimes it will drop to 800-850 and at other times I reach 1000Kbps.
Perhaps it will improve, perhaps it won't theres no way to tell.

Dipso 17:45 13 May 06

According to this click here the maximum download speed (data rate) you can hope to get is 2.5Meg so you were very close to that with 2.3.

Realistically you probably won't see 2.3 very often as your speed will be affected at busier time of the day...but you never know with Max and as you only got the upgrade on the 9th, it's early days yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…