MATSHITA(MATSUSHITA) CD-ROM/CD-W name changed on s

ecoli 18:03 12 Jun 03

My CD-ROM/CD-W Drive AND DVD Drive are both not working. When I checked the properties of these drives the name of the drive has changed to [email protected]@ plus the model number of the drive. The drivers are correct but I can't seem to get it to work. DVD ROM has been changed to DVD RNM. It seems that every other letter has been moved back by 1. ie. I becomes H and A replace By @. starting with the second letter. M-same @ is really A , etc which becomes the correct name. MAT*!@:A DVD ROM. Can someone tell me how to solve this. Thanks

Diemmess 18:34 12 Jun 03

No one seems to be answering so perhaps this is a starter. Some years back I had trouble with SCSI installation and Win98 became so corrupt that I had to reinstall too many times...... During that bad spell I found all sorts of corrupted file names, but didn't know about running SFC or system file checker.

This facility can identify missing or corrupt file and correct them (sometimes with Win98 available in the CDROM drive).......Just a suggestion ?

Diemmess 18:37 12 Jun 03

Re- reading your query ..... Have you tried "removing" the CDROM and DVDROM from Device manager?

Its an old dodge but by removing and then rebooting it allows windows to find the proper driver again and restore it.

ecoli 23:38 12 Jun 03

Thanks for the advice. I have actually removed the 2 drives. I'm running windows 2000. The icons for the 2 drives (DVD and CD-R) are in "my computer" The cd's spins as normal, then it hangs leaving the drive icon to just vanish away!, until i remove the CD.

I have checked the drivers with the manufacturer and the drivers used are defitely correct. But I just don't know why windows detect the drive model to be [email protected]@ instead of MATSHITA?

woodchip 23:43 12 Jun 03

It's the Chines, they cannot write in English a bit like me. Have you ever tried to read a Chines Instruction book

hugh-265156 23:50 12 Jun 03

have you tried click here

Stuartli 00:46 13 Jun 03

You shouldn't need any drivers other than the standard Windows drivers.

Try deleting the drivers, uninstalling the two drives and then letting Windows reinstall them using the standard drivers.

Windows drivers used by CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters can be checked in System Information and will be listed as CDROM0000, CDROM0001 etc.

Incidentally, the rewriters should be the Master, the CD/DVD-ROM drive the Slave and DMA should be enabled for both.

It could also be worth checking that all the leads are correctly inserted, including the secondary IDE cable to the motherboard.

By the way, are you confusing firmware with drivers?

ecoli 09:19 13 Jun 03

Yes. I've tried uninstalling the drives and letting windows use the standard drivers which are the correct ones. The problem is that why would the name of the cd-rom/dvd drives is not detected correctly.

ecoli 10:55 13 Jun 03

the drive will read audio cd's but not play them. for any other cd-roms the drive icons just disappear until i remove the cd-rom.

Diemmess 11:03 13 Jun 03

I had the disappearing/sulks with my grandson's outfit recently after another hardware problem had been sorted.
His old CDROM proved to be faulty and had to be binned......trouble was, that when connected it dragged the CDRW out of service as well.

ecoli 13:08 28 Oct 03

The cable was loose!! silly me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…