Matshita UJDA750 CDRW-DVDR drivers?

Brian-336451 14:26 11 Aug 04

This one's a doozie!

AJP 3000N(Asus 3N)laptop, XPPro, 80Gb HDD, 1Gb RAM.

On boot, the BIOS 'sees' the cd rom. Windows 'sees' the cd rom some of the time BUT whenever I try to access the drive I get errors.

Event log states 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CDrom1' and Event ID is 11.

On the internet I think I have been to all the common places to find drivers - all to no avail. I've also come across several people having the same problem. We can't find drivers to sort out what looks like a conflict.

Norton Antivirus and Kaspersky (independently) come up clean as a whistle.

Any ideas, 'cos I'm stumped? Can't even find a Mat*!@:a (Matsu*!@:a/Panasonic) customer care site either.

Not happy.

xania 16:26 11 Aug 04

The trouble is that this is a laptop, so you need to speak to the laptop people click here or 020 8208 9710. They have an advert in PC Advisor Issue 110 (and probably every other month).

Stuartli 17:46 11 Aug 04

You only require the basic Windows CDROM driver for CD/DVD-ROM and rewriters - burning software such as Nero provides the means to use the device.

I posted a quite lengthy piece for you earlier but it clearly got lost in cyberspace because of the website problems today.

Matsushita is more recognisable in the UK under the brands of Panasonic, JVC and Technics, world-wide the brands include National, Ramsa, Quasar and MAS (Matsushita Avionics), manufacturing more than 15,000 different products.

Stuartli 17:56 11 Aug 04

Although there is a full Panasonic website complete with product and customer support, there doesn't seem to be one for Matsushita, other than basic ones for its UK manufacturing plants.

woodchip 18:14 11 Aug 04

It's nothing to do with drivers the Controller is the integrated circuit on the back of the drive that’s faulty, it happens with Hard Drives so that you cannot read the Drive. It means opening up the Laptop and fitting a new one or get a external from click here

livewire 18:18 11 Aug 04

I have this CD/CDRW/DVD ROM drive in my Evesham Voayger laptop.

I do have the drivers installed- However, many of the drivers are as Stuartli said- Generic drivers often installed with Windows.

The drivers I currently have installed are click here

woodchip 18:26 11 Aug 04

Drivers are MSCDEX and RW software drivers, they will not make a duff drive work

Brian-336451 01:01 12 Aug 04

I actually managed to research more after my post and the drift of what has been said above is entirely correct.

Seems that I actually have a hardware problem, MS website says that this fault is caused usually by the cable connecting the CD to the motherboard is failing and the user action is to replace the cable.

That said, it IS a laptop, it IS under warranty and I AM in Bangladesh (for the next few weeks).

I've emailed AJP with the findings and will have to drop the machine off after I fly into Heathrow in 3 weeks or so.

Can I just say Thanks to all who responded. It is much appreciated, especially here which feels a bit 'out on a limb'.

Have a really 'dry' day!

Stuartli 08:23 12 Aug 04

Well it will be an easier and cheaper solution for this problem for anyone else who might suffer it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…