Matshita SR 8582 DVD - updating firmware

chrisakaad 23:34 18 May 03

On my system I have a Mat*!@:a SR 8582 DVD rom (old I know) which is basically now used as a secondary cd rom drive, the problem now being it wont read some dvd programmes i have. This is not a region problem as the device is now region free. - I have been told it may be worth updating the firmware, but am unsure as to what this is and how to do it, can anyone answer the following for me:
1. where is the best place to download the latest firmware for this model?
2. is it easy to update the firmware once download - and what are the pitfalls if any ?
3. what are the benefits of updating the firmware ?

hugh-265156 02:00 19 May 03

1. from the manufacturers website

2. very easy.and very similar to a bios flash.ist read all the instructions on the process beforehand and if nesessary print them out then the firmware is downloaded to a msdos boot disc.the computer is set up to boot from the floppy first via the bios and the computer is then restarted with the disc in the floppy drive.then follow the instructions.is usually as simple as "do you want to continue updating firmware" press y for yes n for no etc.

pitfalls are a dead drive if the wrong firmware is flashed.you need to make sure it is for your exact model.a power cut mid flash will render the drive useless too so make sure its the correct update and dont do in a thunderstorm.

benifits are usually improved handling of certain media types like cdrw or 3inch cdrs or certain brands of disc.or in your case dvds.

your drive is actually an oem panasonic jobby
click here

i cant see any firmware updates for your drive on the panasonic site and they refer you to your computer manufacturer for all updates.there are firmware updates for this model elsewere like click here for instance.but would check out the your computer manufacturers website first because there is also an sr8582 b model.

dazzling (work) 09:15 19 May 03

do you realise if you flash the firmware to manafactures spec you will lose your multi region abbilities.i have just done the 8587 with no problems try getting some patched firmware.cant remember the site but if you do a google search you will find it.darren

dazzling (work) 09:27 19 May 03

try here click here its where i got mine.darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…