The maths behind printing?

Ping Pong 21:30 11 Sep 03

Most modern printers are capable of printing to a very high standard these days but can anyone help to explain in lay mans terms the science behind it all. I mean a printer printing at 5700 dpi optimised or up to 4800 X 2400dpi.I know that printers discard a lot of information sent to them. Bearing this in mind how do we still end up with good prints? I also know that optimised means interpolated so a little bit of digital wizardry to help along the way. The quoted figure always says UP TO.
What are the real figures?????

Forum Editor 22:59 11 Sep 03

having to put up with me waffling on
click here for more information about ink jets than you can shake a stick at.

Wilham 23:03 11 Sep 03

I have to hand the specs on the Canon i850. The brochure says the droplet size is 2pl. (2picolitre). In exponent form we can write this as 2xE-12. Convert to ml and then to cubic mm gives vol 2xE-6. If sperical, radius r is cube root of this times 3 over 4 x pi. So diameter (=2r)of droplet using calculator is about 2.4xE-3 mm. Change to inches (/25.4) gives around 1xE-4. So you could line up about 10 000 of these in an inch but with no spaces. Allow equal spacing and you'd get about the 4800 dpi claimed for horizontal definition.
The horizontal speed of the printhead ought to come into it, rather like the fastest exposure in a Leica focal plane shutter.
I agree with your doubts about vertical dpi. Bit late for me, though.

Wilham 23:08 11 Sep 03

I see FE has already come in with a much more sensible approach. Good read tomorrow...Night night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…