matching brand names????

Sportsnut424 01:08 12 Aug 06

i'm new to this networking thing, do all of my components (router, pc card) have to be the same brand name or can i use and linksys router with a belkins card in my laptop?

dms05 07:32 12 Aug 06

It can help to have the same brand names as they often have the correct settings to work together. However it's not mandatory and different names will work together. Belkin and Linksys should work together OK.

mgmcc 12:40 12 Aug 06

Belkin Wireless Network Adapters will work OK with a Linksys router. I have a Linksys WRT54GS router used in conjunction with Belkin PCI, PCMCIA and USB wireless adapters.

However, if you have a router using technology to provide speed enhancement, such as Linksys "SpeedBooster", this *additional* speed above the 802.11g standard of 54Mbps will only be possible with compatible hardware from the same manufacturer.

ade.h 13:15 12 Aug 06

One of our other members, Danoh, does actually use a Belkin MIMO router with (if I remember right) a Linksys PCMCIA card and they achieve the Pre-n speed. So mixing Pre-n brands can sometimes possibly be done. But it would be silly to buy mixed parts without knowing that they work together.

Strawballs 21:59 12 Aug 06

I use linksys router with Novatech own brand PCI card on one desktop and HP laptop uses built in wireless

Forum Editor 22:16 12 Aug 06

and have not so far encountered any problems at all. Wireless networking components are actually fairly simple things, and mostly they just get on with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…