Mastodon......? What is it?

VideoSentry 19:11 10 Jan 05

Every time I log on ( or any other user ) XP SP2 Iwe get " You or a progran have requested information from Mastodon. What connection do you want to use"
I do not know what program has asked or what "user" . I have seached for the name with a big Zero. Does anyone know what it is or more important how I get rid of it?
I have seached on the Net but there are lots of sites re animals....

bremner 19:23 10 Jan 05

Have you searched the registry and the text within win.ini and system.ini

If a program is making a call for this you should find a reference there.

Technotiger 19:29 10 Jan 05

Hi, a Mastadon is/was a ice-age mammal similar to an elephant - it is also the name of a USofA heavy metal band. But I think in your case it is probably a 'nastie' of some sort and I would advise running any Spyware/Malware/Anitvirus etc that you may have to try and get rid of it.

Cheers.

VideoSentry 21:41 10 Jan 05

Technotiger:I have tried all of the spyware/,malware etc including all the NSW , which do not find it.
bremner: How do I search them ? ( I have tried the search tool on XP)
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 10 Jan 05

type msconfig in the run box

clickoon the relevant tabs to view system.ini win.ini boot.ini

VideoSentry 19:29 12 Jan 05

Sorry to be a pain but what am I looking for and where?

Technotiger 20:16 12 Jan 05

Hi, have a look here .......
click here

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 12 Jan 05

Start - run - type msconfig - press ok

start tab, check for any reference to Mastodon

if you find any untick the box and apply

VideoSentry 22:15 12 Jan 05

I have tried both the link and the msconfig but no trace on either? All I would like to do is to get rid of it , but if I can't find where the s%d is hiding how do I ?

HIGHLAND GUY 22:32 12 Jan 05

Have you tried "a-squared" click here as this seems to pick up nasties others can't find,had a similar problem myself this sorted it out once and for all.

Nothing to lose as it's a 30 day trial of full product, just download,install and update you will need a valid e-mail addy to get activation code and thats it.

good hunting.

HG

ChrisP 23:13 12 Jan 05

Google gives Mastodon as a Linux program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…