master and slave

joey bloggs 18:59 26 Apr 05

can anyone tell me the correct way to have your dvd rom, hard drive, and writer, connected. at the mo ive got the hard drive to master, then dvd rom to secondary master and writer to secondary slave is this the correct way if it makes a difference i burn alot on the fly thanks for any response

Technotiger 19:23 26 Apr 05

Hi, though I don't think it would make a lot of difference, I would make the Writer secondary Master and the DVD rom secondary Slave.

Cheers.

THE TERMINATOR 19:35 26 Apr 05

You've porbably got it spot on!

the-george 20:48 26 Apr 05

If it is working ok then leave it alone.

I have, however, seen it recommenmded that for copying cds using two drives that they be connected to different IDE channels to prevent problems and on one PC I set up, the software (either Nero or Adaptec - can't remember which) refused to copy because the two drives were on the same cable - a message came up to this effect.

This was some time ago with an older machine and earlier software versions so perhaps it no longer applies.

Joe R 20:58 26 Apr 05

as the-george, above, I would suggest, IDE channel 1 H/D-master, with dvd-rom slave, and channel 2 cdrw.

pj123 21:32 26 Apr 05

As said already. If it aint broke don't fix it.

But having said that, most DVD/CD Writers like to be the master. So if you do get a problem writing to CD/DVD change the writer to master and the DVD Rom to slave.

MONTYBLUE 21:48 26 Apr 05

regarding the settings of master and slave for dvd cd drives does not make an iota of difference as long as there on separate channels to be on one cable you should link hd and dvd cd only

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…