Master & Slave

Actor One 14:40 PM 05 Jun 11

Last night I installed a new graphics card, this card needs an extra PCI power cable, which was at the back of all the other cable, so I had to unplug everything from the PSU. On replugging everything in, I eventually got everything working again, but on checking the BIOS settiings, I seem to have made by two DVD Drives by Primary Master IDE & Primary Slave IDE devices, my two hard discs (C: & D: have become SATA 1 & SATA 2. Eventually I managed to get everything to work, by making my Hard Disk my primary boot disc, but I`m a bit confuddled.... How did my two dvd:ram discs become the Primary Slave & Master, I cant remember the original settings of the BIOS, so I dont know if that is how it was set up in the first place, would this have happened when I plugged everything back into the PSU?, and indeed, does it matter, as my boot up is much quicker than before, I have everything working (I think), and my new graphics card (MSI GTX560I) is 30% faster and runs at half the temperature of my previous card (XTX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog), which ran at very high temps and kept falling over. What I think Im asking for is re-assurance, I think quite a few people have had the feeling that something isnt quite right, or, why have I got a screw left over feeling..... Many thanks in advance.

Actor One 14:41 PM 05 Jun 11

Why are there a load of different fonts in my post...?

Actor One 14:48 PM 05 Jun 11

it is the apostophe or ` next to the number 1 which changes the font...WHY?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 PM 05 Jun 11

The settings are correct as there is no master slave with SATA.

if you only have 1 IDE slot then it will be primary and it sounds as if your optical drives are IDE and Hard drives are SATA (typical configuration for a 5/6 yr old PC)

Site has similar configuration as word for in the fact it can use symbols to change font styles, takes some getting used to.

lotvic 18:42 PM 05 Jun 11

The apostrophe is on the same key as @. The symbol ` next to the 1 key is not an apostrophe.

Actor One 13:09 PM 06 Jun 11

Thanks chaps... or should that be thank's chaps... Ive always used the one next to the number 1... since 1990.... but it does change the font see... odd. `(:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X