Mass storage devices dont open

Alf58 16:12 27 May 06

I have two USB pen drives and an MP3 player. Normally when plugging them in I get a window opening up and their contents are listed. For some reason this no longer happening. when I click on my computer the storage device is not listed although it is listed in the system info it says device working properly. I suspect it could be some simple setting that could have been changed. In the recent past I may have ticked the "take no action" box. How can I get my storage devices to be listed by my computer again. My sysyem is Win XP Profession SP 2. I'm running Norton AVI got 2.6 GHz Pentium ad 500 Mhz memory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 27 May 06

You need to "refresh the USB ports"

In device manager Uninstall everything under the heading USB, reboot the machine and XP find new hardware and will reinstall the ports.

Alf58 17:00 27 May 06

Thank you for the reply Fruitbat,

That sounds kinda scarey!!!

I got scanner and Printer both working fine on USB. Will Windows find Scanner, Printer all at same time? Maybe I should unplug everything, unistall as you advise and then plug them all in one at a time.

What do you think?

By the way, the devices work fine on my laptop and can be located on the problem machine as long as I go via an application like Word or Media player: they remain not listed in My Computer and they dont open a window when plugged in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 27 May 06

Windows will reinstall the drivers for the scanner and printer as it will find them once the ports are reinstalled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…