masking/forwarding my ntl homepage url

haven't a clue 15:27 16 Feb 05

After advice I posted this here after also posting on the Helproom.

I get free webspace with ntl something like homepage.ntlworld.com/user.name. What I want to do is mask this long winded url so it looks like something more memorable/readable.

I am conscious that I have seen something like this ages ago, but can't remember where. Has anyone else used such a facility that they can recommend and are they reasonably priced?

AndySD 15:33 16 Feb 05

As said in the helproom buy your domain name then use framed forwarding. I use click here and hide the site name click here. After buying the name its a simple matter of using the control panel on the website. I am sure you will find other sellers who will do this also.

haven't a clue 16:06 16 Feb 05

AndySD, thanks for that. One question, will the URL I choose be searchable on the likes of Google?

AndySD 17:56 16 Feb 05

Yes

haven't a clue 09:18 17 Feb 05

I'm not sure - it will be a site to advertise my paintings (when I do some!). £20 seems quite good, can you name any names?

mac_gyver 10:35 17 Feb 05

Try Web Mania click here works ou as £20 (ex VAT) per year.

steve263000 12:22 19 Feb 05

I have a ntl account, and have bought a forwarding address from click here This is for click here You can also get email forwarding, and for a small extra fee they will mask your address from the WHOIS that the spiders use to search for spam. ( although perhaps if you are searching for traffic that would not suit you)

mac_gyver 19:18 19 Feb 05

Very interested by your post Steve263000. Just want to clear up a couple of points with regards to the WHOIS database.

For anyone who doesn't know the WHOIS database contains information about every domain e.g. who it is registered to, the nameservers it uses etc etc. This can be searched by anyone for free click here for .uk names.

If you do not want your information to be displayed you can opt out, a feature that can be done by ANYONE regardless off who you have bought your domain off. If you have a .uk domain you can change the details of the information stored about it on the Nominet Site click here. Using the log in information on your registration certificate

WHOIS as a source for email addresses to spam is something which is far to time consuming for a spammer to do. Besides, .uk by default do not display email addresses on WHOIS (but .coms do)

At almost £20 per year this seems very very expensive considering many registrars will offer these services for the fee of your domain registration i.e. ~£6 at Reg 123 click here

CodeMeister 14:43 27 Feb 05

I was very interested to read what AndySD was saying about framed forwarding.

The domain registration company that I use offer web forwarding with framed forwarding but I found one major drawback and would be very pleased if anyone could offer a solution.

The problem is that subfolders don't work. i.e. if I enter click here into my browser it doesn't work but if I enter click here it works perfectly.

It must be something to do with how they implement web forwarding

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:25 27 Feb 05

click here

register your free.co.nr domain name and point it at ntlworld homepage.

www.|yourname.|co|.nr

Ben

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 16:29 27 Feb 05

click here

only £2 a year

and you can forward your mail aswell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…