Mapping a network drive

Gary Wood 21:16 19 Jul 06

I have files on my computer in the office which I want to share with other staff.

My computer connects to a large university network. I hav a router in my office with two computers connected to it. The router has an IP address allocated by the University, and the two machines connected to it have addresses allocated by the router, in the range 192.168.0.X.

Between the two machines connected to the router I have successfully been able to set up a file-share by mapping a drive to \\192.168.0.X\Files.

However, I now need to be able to map the drive from another computer elsewhere in the building which connects directly into the university network and has an IP address in the university range. I cannot therefore map the drive at 192.168.0.X.

Can anyone advise me how I can achieve this?

Gary Wood 17:25 20 Jul 06

Can it be done?

ade.h 18:22 20 Jul 06

If your clients can access shares on the remote client, then it can be done. If they do not have access permissions, then it cannot.

(Post in Networking in future; you'll get more replies. I have only just seen your thread.)

Gary Wood 18:27 20 Jul 06

ade.h,

Thank you for your reply. The problem is not setting the access permissions, because I have done this using the File Sharing options. What I need to be able to do is to map the drive from within the University network - i.e. I really want to be able to map in the following way, but I know that typing this won't work:

\\UniversityIP\192.168.0.X\Files

Does this clarify what I'm trying to do?

I've reposted my thread in networking (click here) so please reply there if you can help further.

Cheers,

Gary

FelixTCat 18:38 20 Jul 06

The problem that you face is that you have protected the drive by applying network address translation (NAT) in your router. This hides the pcs behind the router from the wider network. You have to find a way of exposing the drive.

This is similar to setting up a website on a home computer where you want to allow access from the www but not allow outsiders access to all your files.

If you look up port forwarding and/or static routing in your router guide, I think that you will find a way of exposing that drive to the wider network whilst protecting the rest of your files.

I'm sorry that I can't give more details, but I hope that this will give you a start.

Regards,

Felix

Gary Wood 18:41 20 Jul 06

Thanks Felix. I will have a look at the router manual and see what I can do.

FelixTCat 18:44 20 Jul 06

My router has this in its Help pages:

Port Forwarding
Using the Port Forwarding page, you can provide local services (for example web hosting) for people on the Internet or play Internet games. To configure a service, game or other application select the external connection (for example the Internet connection),select the computer hosting the service and add the corresponding firewall rule.If you want to add a custom application, select the User category, click New and fill in the port,protocols and description for your application.

Access Control
This firewall feature allows you to block network access based on a user's computer IP address. You can use this page to block specific traffic (for example block web access) or any traffic from a computer on your local network.To configure an access control rule select the computers' IP address and add the corresponding firewall traffic definition.If the traffic type is set to "Any" all network traffic from that computer will be blocked.

Advanced Security
In the presence of the firewall, anonymous Internet traffic is blocked. Using the features on this page you can redirect this traffic to a dedicated computer on your local network (DMZ) or open the access from the Internet to the router's management ports (web, telnet). The router's firewall and NAT services (port forwarding, access control) can be disbaled for all connections by unchecking this box.This diables the security and NAT functionality of the router.

DMZ
Setting a computer on your local network as DMZ forwards any network traffic that is not redirected to another computer via the port forwarding feature to the computer's IP address. This opens the access to the DMZ computer from the Internet.

I'm sure that one of these is just what you want.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 18:47 20 Jul 06

Felix is correct, though you may find that you still cannot achieve this if you have a domestic-spec router (your third octet suggests a Netgear). At the least, I would try entering the IP of the remote client into Virtual Servers or whatever Netgear's equivalent is. This will open your LAN to the remote client.

silverous 18:47 20 Jul 06

I believe the problem is that the university pcs are almost certainly on a different 'subnet' and I thought that for windows peer-to-peer file sharing all pcs had to be on the same subnet. Might be wrong...

I presume those outside need read/write access I.e. Could you just publish the files via some kind of ftp / web server?

ade.h 18:53 20 Jul 06

Yes, access to at least Level 4 is required here, preferably in both directions.

There are ways to access other subnets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos