Mapped drives password request at every logon

Tog_ 13:09 10 Feb 05

Just built a licence server on a Win2K machine which has 17 mapped drives. Same user name and blank password for 16 of them and the other one uses a different name and password. On reboot it requres the password for every mapped drive to be re-entered!

Could some kind person assist?
What have I forgotten?

Tog_ 17:19 10 Feb 05

??

Kegger 18:01 10 Feb 05

Tog_
How did you originaly map the drives? was it by going to the drive and then selecting 'tools' map drive or from or from 'my computer' 'my network places' right click 'map drive'? Kegger

Tog_ 09:26 11 Feb 05

Tools > Map Network Drive.

Tog_ 17:18 16 Feb 05

No?

Gaz W 21:01 16 Feb 05

Isn't there a checkbox that allows you to remember the password if you go through Tools > Map Network Drive?

Tog_ 09:28 17 Feb 05

Yes, but it makes no odds. I have also used the "connect as a different user" option but that makes no difference, either.

The BB 10:35 17 Feb 05

I have the same issue, but a cunning workaround! I have the same user name/password on my home network to allow drive sharing, otherwise its a log on as differnet user scenario. Initially I used the default C$ share but this didn't work without intervention.

Using Explorer to highlight the drive and right click and select sharing instead of the normal Share name C$ I set up a new share C1$ and set permission to Authenticated Users.

Been fine ever since, though do need to run round the machines resynching the passwords that I change every few weeks.

Tog_ 11:50 17 Feb 05

Thanks,
I'll give it a go when time permits and post back with the result.

Tog_ 23:24 28 Feb 05

I'll tick this as solved as we have a big upgrade underway and I'll probably never know if it would work. Switching to Fedora Core for the most part and the licences are now held on the individual machines. Yipee!
Thanks to all for the input.
Tog

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…