Maplins"surfCAM"not compatible with XP?

blackmischief 02:46 14 Jan 04

I bought the "surfcam USB digital video camera from Maplins Electronics.
It claims to be compatible with Windows 98 or later versions. However, upon installing the software a microsoft message told me that to progress any futher could cause damage to my system and to exit immeadiately,
further inspection reveals that it is actually only compatible with Windows 98/me/2000, although this is not obvious until the box has been opened.
I know that its cheap and nasty , but i just thought that a company like Maplins would not be selling obsolete equipment,it is advertised in their latest catalogue.

tafoody 02:58 14 Jan 04

is it this one? click here

tafoody 03:06 14 Jan 04

you could go back and explain your situation, if it says on the box that its compatable with win98 onwards, you deserve a refund.

take along an extra £10, and ask for get the next model up, click here

tafoody 03:10 14 Jan 04

or exchange for this one click here

my previous link is a USB2.0 webcam, and possibly not suitable.

Jester2K 08:21 14 Jan 04

"However, upon installing the software a Microsoft message told me that to progress any further could cause damage to my system and to exit immediately"

This is where is REALLY handy to have the EXACT message.

Did it actually say the above or did it say the drivers had not been tested by Microsoft and give you the option to Continue or Cancel the installation? click here

If so this is a standard thing. MS tried to get all manufacturers to get their drivers tested and certified by MS. Many now don't bother. Any drivers that don't have the certification from MS (called WHQL) show this message when installed. In 99.9999999% of cases you can install the drivers and proceed and everything will be fine. the fact you saw the message shows its trying to install some drivers so it may work anyway. (See the instructions click here for another camera. The instructions also state to ignore the message.

"It claims to be compatible with Windows 98 or later versions"

You have to be careful with this. How old is the camera? Is there a copyright of date of manufacture on the box? If Windows Me was the latest version when the camera came out then that statement would be true at the time but if the camera has been on the shelf for 3 years then it might not be XP compatible. You can't just take a comment like "compatible with Windows 98 or later" as read.

"actually only compatible with Windows 98/me/2000"

Well XP is based on 2000 and NT so the 2000 drivers should work. Also as i said above it tried to install drivers so it seems to be detected OK under XP and wants to be installed....

"a company like Maplins would not be selling obsolete equipment"

Its not obsolete! Even if it wasn't XP compatible plenty of people are still using Windows 98, Me, 2000... Ask them if it obsolete!

I would set a restore point and then try and install (ignoring the dire warnings from MS as i have done many times before). It'll probably work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5