m/anti spyware?

johnnyrocker 10:29 27 Jun 05

i d/loaded this a few weeks ago and all it found was a dialler (not a prob as i am on broadband)all has been well with adaware finding the odd item after update, today i decided to update everything and something strange is happening.
1, updated adaware found a couple no prob.

2. updated spy bot found and fixed 56 said one could no be fixed without a reboot, so i rebooted and it found another 9 said one could not be fixed.
half way through a spy bot scan i have been getting an error message referring to a prob in hijack and to include error log at end of results.

2 questions 1, how do i find this log 2, why did spywareblaster or m/s anti spy not find anything and in the light of this is it worth it?

no real probs for months and now this, any ideas

Granger 10:54 27 Jun 05

I've been using MS Antispyware for couple months, it has NEVER found one single threat. Everything else (Adaware, Ewido etc) finds and deletes things. MS Antispyware looks great, superb user interface, but pointless if it doesn't actually protect me.

johnnyrocker 11:09 27 Jun 05

my point exactly it is quick enough to tell you you are changing an application but little else.

i am still troubled about spy-bot and whether it is corrupt or not, and more importanly how did i get such a large amount of items all of a sudden?

johnnyrocker 16:13 27 Jun 05

well i booted up after being out for a while and spy bot claimed to have 15 items, yet again said one could not be cleared and run it again on next boot up, also during scan same error message, and i still cant find this 'error log' win xp sp1

dublincity 16:31 27 Jun 05

click here

I'd suggest using a good AV system, Spybot, AdAware, a squared, M'soft Beta, Hijack This and at least a few other freeware progs - inc. Trojan zappers. Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster are essential (free) barriers that, unlike most of the others, prevent entry in the first place.

sunny staines 16:53 27 Jun 05

ms antispyware ignors cookies, most other do not, I would follow most of the above advice from dublincity

johnnyrocker 17:33 27 Jun 05

already have avg 7 (highly recommended here) spyware blaster fully updated adaware same sygate firewall, m/soft beta, spy-bot, cc cleaner which i take to be sufficient,

between shutting down earlier after a spy bot scan and re booting when it ran again how was it able to decide another 15 had entered my machine while off? am beginning to suspect spy boy has gone loopy/corrupt

VCR97 20:02 27 Jun 05

re Spybot log. Is this what you want?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Spybot Search & Destroy\Logs

There's also a lot of system info in Spybot>Tools>View Report but I think that's really for use if you want to submit a problem to the Spybot team.

johnnyrocker 20:22 27 Jun 05

i dont have a tools option in spy bot, i have just run another scan and half way through as every time today it stops and an error comes up

'problems in the include file c\prog files\spybot sand d\includes\hijacker.sbi see'include errors log' for details.

after which i click ok and scan carries on at the end box comes up with large green tick and congrats no errors found. however the fix problems button is active and when clicked say 15 probs fixed but one could not be do you want to run spy bot at next boot up, and so it goes on.

dogbreath1 20:33 27 Jun 05

Some nasties reside in your System Restore volume and will remain until you disable it (and thereby lose all restore points). Other nasties cannot be deleted other than in Safe Mode. It may be worth pursuing both routes in one bite and see if that helps.

johnnyrocker 20:41 27 Jun 05

cheers i shall have a look at that later, but it mystifies me as to how they got in past all that i have on board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…