manifest.cfg what is it?

Charence 23:54 24 Jul 04

When I restarted my computer I noticed that files had been added onto my desktop after I clicked the shutdown button (using XP).

The file contained the following:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
msntbmanifest>

file name="msntb.dll" version="01.01.1629.0" url="click here" register="1" />

file name="mtbres.dll" version="01.01. 1629.0" url="click here" />

file name="mtbs.exe" version="01.01. 1629.0" url="click here" />

file name="msntb.cfg" version="01.01. 1629.0" url="click here" />

/msntbmanifest>

And when I checked my temporary files, I found a "manifest.cfg", what is this?

The reason I'm worried is that there were problems with programs on my computer which caused to me to restart. The problems were, Firewall kept crashing, Task Manager wouldn't open and the screen kept flashing (it was the whole screen not just title bars, etc.).

Any ideas?

Thanks, Charence

bvw in bristol 00:23 25 Jul 04

MSN toolbar maybe ?

Dan the Confused 00:24 25 Jul 04

Something to do with the MSN toolbar I think. Can you uninstall it?

THE TERMINATOR 00:30 25 Jul 04

.cfg is a configuration file. Do you have any software on your system called manifest, or have you visited a web page called manifest. If it's software then the cfg file is needed, if it's a web page you have visited it could be spywareclick here and scan your system for any. And lastly whatever you do KEEP YOUR FIREWALL UP there are plenty of free ones availableclick here

Charence 01:14 25 Jul 04

The cfg file after I visited the BBC website! I have Kerio 4 firewall and that stops most traffic I think. Do you think it'll be safe if I delete the file from my temporary files and desktop?

I also have the MSN Toolbar installed.

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…