managing partitioned hard drive

palinka 15:49 16 Jul 10

OS is Vista. From new the hard drive was partitioned into C and D with D allocated as a backup, but I now want to allocate all the available space to Drive C. (I’m using Acronis and an external drive for backup)
How do I allocate the space formerly used by Drive D to Drive C ?
Computer Management shows that there is 4.56 GB free space in D, which I assume I could add to drive C. But how??? (“Extend Volume” in drive C is greyed out)

rdave13 16:02 16 Jul 10

Delete the D partition then extend the C partition; click here

palinka 16:26 16 Jul 10

thanks, rdave13, that was helpful. I have now successfully deleted the D partition, but cannot extend C partition because extend is still greyed out.

rdave13 17:11 16 Jul 10

The D drive should be to the right of the C drive and now show as unallocated; click here
If it won't work then you will need third party partition manager that works with Vista.

palinka 18:02 16 Jul 10

There is nothing to the right of Drive C, but to the left of it there is “10.00Gb unallocated”.

canarieslover 18:11 16 Jul 10

It looks like the D: partition was your recovery partition from which you could restore the computer back to how it was when you first bought it. I hope you made the recovery disks when you got the machine. To get the use of this unallocated area you will now need a partition manager. For a good free one try Easeus Partition Manager.
click here
With this you should be able to move the C: partion to the start of the disk and then extend it to occupy the full disk.

chub_tor 18:43 16 Jul 10

I had a similar problem with not being able to extend the partition because it was on "the wrong side" and I used Partition Wizard click here It was free and very simple to use.

palinka 15:06 18 Jul 10

I've kind of ground to a halt on this.
I downloaded Easeus Partition Manager AND Partition Wizard but I'm uncertain how to proceed with either of them (downloaded both because I thought one might be clearer than the other - it isn't!). The unallocated area is 10GB - so not that large - and I may leave it as it is.

Zeppelyn 15:39 18 Jul 10

Never give up, open up Partition Wizard and highlight your C: drive in the graphical view, right click and select Move/Resize. From there its straightforward, either drag the slider to the left or use the arrow boxes below. Click apply and Partition Wizard will tell you it needs to reboot to complete, click yes.

palinka 16:22 18 Jul 10

thanks very much, Zeppelyn. As you said , it's straightforward (when you'd told me exactly what to do). Now done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5