Managing Google dropdown previous queries list.

clanfind 23:36 12 Aug 05

I have ME on my PC. The list of perevious queries I have typed into Google search bar has become so long that it takes ages to find the one(s) I want from a previous query and so I often have to type several variations of my query to find a suitable site. It would be helpful if I could manage the drop down list by deleting those that were abortive and/or are obsolete in order to leave a workable list. Can someone tell if it is possible to selectively edit the drop down list in this way, please.

'clanfind'.

Diodorus Siculus 09:57 13 Aug 05

Open your registry and find the key below.

If you are comfortable with editing the registry:

Select the "History" sub-key and click "Edit", then "Delete".

Note: Restart Internet Explorer for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
User Key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\NavClient\1.1\History]

Diodorus Siculus 09:59 13 Aug 05

HAving said that, if you are in the Absolute Beginners area on purpose, it might be best to simply open IE and clear out history, autocomplete etc.

watchful 15:38 13 Aug 05

It may not answer your question but if you click on Options on the Google Toolbar, there are lots of things you can do with it re. customizing etc. and I've just discovered there is a Pop-up Blocker !

clanfind 23:29 19 Aug 05

Thank you for your answers (I have been incapacitated hence the delay in acknowledgement)

Problem No. 1 What is the registry and how do I open it ?

Problem No. 2. I thought I had cleared 'History' from IE but I will try once more and then, if I am successful, start my searches from scratch again.

I will then let you know if I have cleared the list although I would have preferred to manage it by editing out the superfluous ones. But that is life, you can't always have what you want.

Many thanks.

Kev.Ifty 00:38 20 Aug 05

If you want to start from scratch then clearing 'Auto Complete' will remove all your "searched" entries. Just remember to refresh your Browser for it to work.

Try saving successful
results to 'Your Favourites' and create an appropriate folder to make it easier to find the sites you require.

EG: In a folder called FORUMS you could save PCAdvisor. A folder called SHOPPING perhaps you might have something like EBAY or PCWORLD saved to that.

'Not a lot of people know' that Goggle offer a predictive service, a bit like the Nokia predictive messaging thing that new mobile phone users usually moan about... ;-)

click here

Cheers Kev

clanfind 09:22 20 Aug 05

Thanks Kev,
That looks promising. (Haven't got a mobile so can't complain !) I did look at clearing 'Auto complete' but chickened out because of its global effect. I also find favourites a bit of a pain in my 'Firefox' browser and then I find it almost as laborious to find the site as typing in a search. That is why I would like to manage the Google list by individual editing rather than by a blanket action.
Once again, thanks.
Clanfind

clanfind 10:12 20 Aug 05

Hi all,
I have cracked it. By accident I stumbled across a Google FAQ come Help section and they suggested
1. Go to the "Tools" menu
2. Select "Options>"Privacy">Saved Form Information"
3. Click "Clear" and uncheck the box.
4. Click "OK" to exit.
That done, I returned to Google to find a clean sheet. I might even try further, to see if there is anything about managing by selective deletions.
Once again my sincere thanks to those who took the trouble to suggest solutions.
clanfind.

uselessbrain 03:28 15 Dec 05

Could you please give me the way how to clean up the query list of Google home page's search box. All I have typed before is shown back when I typed the same first letter. How can I remove these?

watchful 08:08 15 Dec 05

If you have the Google Search Bar, just click on the little down-arrow next to the word Google and a drop-down menu will appear. Choose clear search history.

For the Google Home page follow the instructions given on the post above this by 'clanfind' and that should do it.

PaulB2005 09:22 15 Dec 05

To selectively delete entries (and this works on MOST lists).

Drop the list so you can see the contents - type the first letter of an entry you know exists or with the box clear do a SLOW double left click.

Then move the mouse to the first entry - DO NOT CLICK THE ENTRY - it will be highlighted. You can now use the Arrow Keys to move up and down the list. Once an entry you wish to delete is highlighted just hit DELETE to remove that entry.

No risky registry editing and a simple way to remove those mis-spelt and unwanted entries.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…