Manage Network Passwords - Blank / Empty

CLONNEN 13:04 20 Mar 05

When I go to Control Panel - User Accounts - My Account Name and click on Manage Network Passwords (top left) I get the Stored User Names and Passwords box but it is totally empty / blank. The Add button is missing and the Remove and Properties buttons are greyed out.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that the other computer on my network (running Windows ME) cannot access shared files or folders on the XP Home machine because it keeps asking for a Network Password. I have never set up a Network Password to the best of my knowledge - does anyone know how I can set one?

stalion 13:39 20 Mar 05

Allowing Network Access with Blank Passwords
Although you can log in locally without a password, by default, WindowsXP Pro does not allow network users to access the computer without a password. Typically you will receive an Unknown error 31 if this is the case.

To change this setting:

Run gpedit.msc
Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only
Disable this option

CLONNEN 14:08 20 Mar 05

XP Home does not have the gpedit.msc on it. This is only on XP Pro.

Are there any other utilities which I would be able to download to do this on XP Home.

CLONNEN 17:19 20 Mar 05

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…