//some 3rd party need geo

Manage Network Passwords - Blank / Empty

CLONNEN 12:15 20 Mar 05

When I go to Control Panel - User Accounts - My Account Name and click on Manage Network Passwords (top left) I get the Stored User Names and Passwords box but it is totally empty / blank. The Add button is missing and the Remove and Properties buttons are greyed out.

Would this have anyhting to do with the fact that the other computer on my network (running Windows ME) cannot access shared files or folders on the XP Home machine because it keeps asking for a Network Password. I have never set up a Network Password to the best of my knowledge - does anyone know how I can set one?

recap 12:23 22 Mar 05

You may need to be logged in as Administrator.

click here this link (from somebody the other day) will show you how to Add Administrator Account to Log In Screen.

As for the password part, this may be the very first password that you entered into the system?

CLONNEN 21:27 22 Mar 05

I have found a solution to my problem - taking the passwords off the Administrator account and the Guest account allows file sharing in both directions between ME and XP Home.

Unfortunately this leaves my network wide open to hackers and viruses. Does anyone know of a way to allow file sharing and a password on these accounts - other than upgrading to XP Pro which is out of my price range.

CLONNEN 21:31 22 Mar 05

Incidentally your comment about logging in as Administrator was one of the things I tried when I was attempting to get the file sharing to work.

Unfortunately the only way to log in as Administrator is in Safe Mode and although I could see the ME computer files the ME computer was still unable to gain access to the XP Home files while the password for this account was active. Only when I made the password field blank on the Administrator account was the ME computer able to access the shared files on XP Home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…