Manafacturers XP disc onto a new H/D

Sparkly 07:18 06 Mar 06

Hi everyone i have an advent pc that is about 2 years old now and has been giving lots of problems,it came with xp preinstalled, i have a recvery disk to reinstall xp but its not an original microsoft disc can you tell me if i fit a new 200gig H/D in a machine and put the advent operating system disc in will it format and install the xp system on to the new H/D.
Cheers.

Graham ® 08:15 06 Mar 06

Don't think so. A recovery disc is just that, it's not an installation disc.

You could use a program like Norton Ghost (handy to have anyway) and copy the old to the new.

Djohn 08:24 06 Mar 06

No, but you can try copying the i386 folder off the drive. This contains all the xp operating system then make a new disk with just this info on, insert into drive after installing new hard drive and see if you can boot from the new CD.

spuds 10:36 06 Mar 06

As this would be a system builder OEM product on your computer, the alternative that may may need to consider is a new purchase XP Home oem from perhaps Ebuyer (about £68.00).Might make life easier later on!.

Smiler 12:02 06 Mar 06

Why not try it and see at worse I think it would just refuse to install.
Alternatively use the recovery disc with the old drive to go back to original condition then install the new drive as a second hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…