Malware TROJAN question... Trust Soldier

mooly 08:02 10 Oct 09

Visited a site today (.jpg image) and web page redirected to blue screen offering free scan. On top of this page a popup window appeared saying "Message from webpage...Your PC is at risk click to accept free scan"
Obviously I didn't and just wanted to close or navigate away but the only way to close IE8 was with task manager which showed "Trust Soldier" as running.
I didn't click on any links etc, just closed everything and have run a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials that I am using which has come back as clean.

Question, do you actually have to download something to be infected with a Trojan like this or can it get on a PC just from viewing a webpage.

STREETWORK 08:18 10 Oct 09

You have a nasty malware program. It can install without you knowing.

click here

birdface 08:26 10 Oct 09

Go to tools and delete browsing history etc.
That is a bad site that STREETWORK has given you so not to download anything from it.
Download Malwarebytes free version and update and run that.That usually finds anything that is lurking about.

mooly 08:41 10 Oct 09

Haven't downloaded anything... not even from the site that caused the pop up message.
I can't find any reference in any program files, registry etc to this malware.

Will keep this updated.

mooly 08:54 10 Oct 09

Typical :) Malwarebytes.org site appears to have problem, can't download file. Seems to have been removed from softpedia too.
I have an up to date disk image I can go back to so that removes any doubt malware wise but would have been interested to see if anything lurking.

birdface 09:00 10 Oct 09

That is what happened when something tried to download on to my computer.I managed to get it shut down on time and then ran my security programs which found two problems in temporary files or folders which it removed.I also removed my browsing history just to be in the safe side.
Not sure how you are fixed with security programs but Malwarebytes is very good and worth a try if you have not used it before.
I run it about once a week-fortnight but worth having it as a back up.

rdave13 09:16 10 Oct 09

More info on Trust Soldier; (hope WOT behaves with this one) click here

birdface 09:29 10 Oct 09

click here sometime if infected you will not be able to download new security programs.
Does your own security programs update Ok.That is usually another sign when they do not update.

birdface 09:33 10 Oct 09

Yes no problem with that site.
I know WOT and McAfee Site Advisor can give false warnings but better safe than sorry.

mooly 09:58 10 Oct 09

I googled this malware and think it was the same site as STREETWORK posted that I looked at. Didn't click on anything but did check several of the locations of files listed and found no trace of Trust Soldier.
It seemed a coincidence that I couldn't download malwarebytes after this, so have gone back to clean disk image to remove any doubt. You think that could be one of the "symptoms" ?

birdface 11:04 10 Oct 09

It may come under a different name.But normally most of those programs stop you from downloading any security programs that may help in removing it.
But if you can still update your anti-virus and any of your other security programs it should be Ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…