Malware Removal & System Restore

subi 17:53 17 May 06

Invested with Malware last night - Spyfalcon was one of the offenders. Scanned with NoAdware which detected the offending files but couldn't remove them!
Decided to use the " System Restore " facility as I am on XP Pro. Restored to Monday's point and, cross fingers, the Spyware has gone and the system seems to be operating as before.
Is this a reasonable procedure to use to get your system running without the constant Pop-Ups etc., associated with the Malware?
I forwarded a Diagnostic Log to NoAdware, as requested, and they sent me instructions on how to delete the Spyfalcon software but it required accessing about 26 Url's and then going into the Register and deleting identified files!!!
Surely there must be an easier method than the one they submitted - if not what are we paying these people for? And how did the Spyfalcon get passed the NoAdware shield?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:20 17 May 06

Spyfalcon installs itself on computers because the owner inadvertently clicks 'yes' to a scan or something innocuous. No firewall, programme will stop it as you have given it permission.

Download ewido from click here and run it in safe mode.(turn on computer and keep tapping F8 until you hit a B&W screen. Choose safe mode by using the up/down arrows on your keyboard an hit enter). Delete all it finds.

woodchip 20:26 17 May 06

You can be fooled into adding Malware to your computer by running all the so called Malware removal programs

subi 21:30 17 May 06

Installed ewido and performed scan - 5 items found and removed. Thanks GANDALF for the information.

The Spires 22:27 17 May 06

The best protection is to use a program such as Acronis True Image & create images on a regular basis, then if you have any problems you simply restore an image from when your PC was ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…