Malware defences

hatrickj 07:36 AM 29 Aug 11

I have Win7 64 bit Home Premium; Avast6 (free); Malwarebytes (free); Windows Firewall.

What other defence(s) would you now recommend, something like Trojan Hunter that IIRC had a very good reputation for finding threats that other defences did not?

onthelimit1 09:02 AM 29 Aug 11

The only one I'd add would be Superantispyware.

Taff™ 09:15 AM 29 Aug 11

I'd choose Emsisoft Antimalware because it's very thorough on a full scan. Malwarebytes on the other hand is likely to find anything major on a quick scan but doesn't do well on a full one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 PM 29 Aug 11

What you have is good, you could add Spywareblaster as a blocker as it does use any resources.

Add anything else and you are using up resources for little gain and possible conflicts

proudfoot 15:32 PM 29 Aug 11

I had an idea I had some problems Malwarebytes ans SuperAntispyware did not pick them up, but I D/l a time limited copy of Emisoft Antimalware that found 2 trojans and removed them.

Taff™ 19:14 PM 29 Aug 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Matter of opinion! Spyware blocker does use resources but admittedly not that much as others.

st-clares - I agree, There are conflicts between those two but just because one program picks something up doesn't mean it's bad. With Emsisoft (Free Version) when it downloads new definitions you can rescan the quarantine and re-instate anything that's gone there by mistake. I Like that feature, no other programme seems to have that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 PM 29 Aug 11

Not sure how you can say spywareblaster uses resorces when you only need to run it to update it and enable all protection, after that its closed and not using any as all it does is block access to nasty sites by putting references into the registry.

rdave13 20:10 PM 29 Aug 11

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ with spywareblaster, it uses the registry to block known bad activX that can run in your browser. As I only run FF and IE9 I don't know how many browsers it supports now. Spybot Search&Destroy is also a blocker but uses the hosts file.

hatrickj 07:30 AM 30 Aug 11

Spywareblaster looks good. However it only works with IE and Firefox. Shame as I am using Chrome. :C

Does that open up other ideas, perhaps?

sunnystaines 07:48 AM 30 Aug 11

Emisoft is good at detection but has a lot of false positives, I have stopped using it now.

recommend spywareblaster,SAS,MBAM.

proudfoot 09:37 AM 30 Aug 11

I was not crititising Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster. I have used them for many years. Over that time maybe I have been lucky, they have picked up little over the years. I am still have 24 days left of the full download version, but in my case it has logged few false positives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…