Malicious Software Removal Wizard

Sirpad 12:31 25 Apr 06

Recently I've been getting a pop-up box with the following.........

The box is titled...
Malicious Software Removal Wizard

Some of the content reads like this...

Warning: Efficient anti-virus software was not found running on this computer.

etc etc

And to finish..........

To scan your computer for viruses, spyware, Trojans and other malicious objects please click the ‘Next’ button below.

I did not click the ‘Next’ button. I'm running XP with IE. I have NOD32, Spywareblaster and I run CWShredder and CCleaner regularly. Up til now I have had no problems to speak of. Now I'm getting this and the odd pop-ups which I never got before.

I get another one like this....
System Integrity Scan Wizard

Warning: Your computer may have critical errors in Windows registry and file system.

To scan your computer for viruses, spyware, Trojans and other malicious objects please click the ‘Next’ button below.

Any ideas?

dogbreath1 13:04 25 Apr 06

It might be the Windows Messenger Service. It can be disabled...click here.

Try it, it's not necessary anyway and it might solve your problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:35 25 Apr 06

Download and run Ewido from click here it is free. It is very effective in getting rid of these types of pop-ups assuming that they are not from messenger service. A virus/firewall/antispy will not stop them as you would have (inadvertently|) given permission for the programme to install.

G

Sirpad 17:59 25 Apr 06

Went in to disable Messenger Service but it was already disabled.

Ran Ewido and it found 6 suspicious items and cleaned up the mess. So far so good. Will update thread if I get any more pop-ups.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…