malawarebytes download - free or what?.

spuds 10:38 24 Dec 13
Answered

Having had a possible malware problem with another computer running XP, I attempted to download MalwareBytes, and noticed that I may have been re-directed to the cnet website. CNET may have caused the previous problem. So I did not continue further with CNET.

Going to either the FileHippo or MajorGeeks websites (forget which), I downloaded MalawareBytes, then commenced a full scan on the computer. I left the scan to run, which it completed 2/4 hours later. Twenty suspect items came up for removal, including PUPS.

SuperAntiSpyware, which I normally use, did not show these suspect's on a full or critical scan.

Today (less than 14 hours later) I am being informed that the trial period of MalwareBytes as now expired. I understood that the download was a free version, so what as gone wrong?.

Is there a free version which the computer will except without further expiry pop-ups?.

onthelimit1 10:56 24 Dec 13

When you install malwarebytes, the final screen has 3 boxes one of which says Free Trial. You need to untick that one, you will be left with the free version

spuds 11:18 24 Dec 13
Answer

onthelimit1

Thanks for that, it looks like I may have missed something, because I cannot recall seeing 3 tick boxes on the download used.

Back to the drawing board for another attempt :O)

iscanut 11:30 24 Dec 13

I have had this before with the free download. I just ignored it and it eventually stopped appearing.

spuds 12:05 24 Dec 13

What I have done, is to go to the MajorGeeks website and check from there. It showed the downloads at shareware status, so I went direct to Malwarebytes website direct.

It showed two options, of either downloading a free version or the PRO version. I seem to read that the PRO version might be on offer as a trial version for 14 days?.

Downloaded the free version, and I am now running a full scan (again) on the problem computer. Its now a case of wait and see what happens.

One thing that I found interesting, was that I used Revo to remove the previous downloads including remnants, but I still have 1 to 4 MalwareBytes showing in the download/document section on XP. So again it it could be a wait and see situation, if I get the trial period expiry pop-up again. Keeping iscanut2 comment in mind.

rdave13 14:02 24 Dec 13

Hello spuds , have a look here, especially daledoc1's reply (second post).

spuds 15:31 24 Dec 13

rdave13

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. Very strange, the install pictures where not like the downloads I used, including the one direct from MalwareBytes website. There was no tick box or mention for a trial version of PRO.

The only thing on the webpage was either the Free or PRO buttons. Thinking about it, I now assume had I clicked on the PRO button, then I would have had the trial option, possibly with the three tick boxes?.

What I still cannot understand, is why the pop-up told me the trial had expired, yet I had only loaded it about 14 hours earlier?.

Anyway, the latest download I installed earlier, and full scan that I started, have been running now for 3hours 48minutes plus with no infections or objects detected so far. So the previous download and scan must have done the job?.

rdave13 16:00 24 Dec 13

spuds, did you notice the link for mbam-clean.exe? First time I have come across it so I assume its a removal tool as you get with AV's. Worth noting if you need to totally remove mbam cleanly. Two things I won't use Revo for is removing security programs and any Microsoft programs. Past problems :(

spuds 16:08 24 Dec 13

rdave13, I am keeping that in mind about clean removal, after I see what is happening with the 3hour 56minute 2seconds scan that's just finished. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac