Making User Accounts in Windows XP

Haig 09:56 23 Feb 05

When I make User Accounts from the 'Administrator' screen (straight after the start button) they all appear on the 'Welcome' screen and can be used and switched just like they are supposed to be. However, when I have logged off these accounts and shut down, then power up again, the accounts I made appear on the welcome screen, but the original administrator button is not there, but the associated desktop has disappeared. 'System Restore' re-instates the first desktop, but of course, the accounts I made have now disappeared.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I get it sorted? The Windows XP books I have just show me how to set up User Accounts, and I can do that, but do not cover anything like the problem I am experiencing. No-one I know needs the facility, so have no experience and can offer no help.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me to solve this problem.

ventanas 10:20 23 Feb 05

The administrator account does not appear by default. If you need it (assuming you are using XP Pro)at the Welcome screen pres ctr-alt-del twice. The log on screen will appear and you can type the administrator in the user name box and then the password.

To set it up to use permanently (not a good idea if you have other users) open a command prompt and type

lusrmgr.msc This will open local users and groups.

In the console tree click Groups. Double click the Administrators group and remove all accounts except Admin. Open the Users or Power users groups and click Add to replace each of the users you removed.

This is only possible with XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…