Making use of "old" PC CRT Monitors

BigRedFox 04:37 12 Sep 07

I have 3 good quality "old" IIyama monitors that I would like to make use of as spare "TVs" for connecting up to DVD players, VHS media etc. They all have the 15 pin VGA connector. 1 also has speakers fitted with a pair of RCA connectors, the other 2 are video only. Is it possible to use a) either the DVD SCART input/output connector OR the BNC video out connector.
They are large and heavy etc etc, but as space is at a premium at the "office desk", it isn't in the spare room. I would just hate to throw these away as the tubes are still perfectly ok and it seems a waste not to make use of them one way or the other.

Many thanks, Redfox

audeal 05:56 12 Sep 07

Instead of throwing them away and if they are still in working order you could offer them to the local Yahoo "Freecycle" group. That way you get rid of them and they do not end up in the local "Landfill". click here

audeal 05:58 12 Sep 07

Click on Groups down the left hand side for "Freecycle".

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 12 Sep 07

Trying to use a computer monitor to run off a scart is going to be costly, due to the difference in the way the sync is handled and RGB needs converting.

click here

holme 10:33 12 Sep 07

Fully agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ - computer monitors are simply not designed to interface with 'domestic' AV equipmnet and, arguably, it's going to be more trouble - and certainly more cost - than it's worth.

If you wanted to pursue it, I can only suggest getting a really cheapo/second-hand laptop or desktop PC, plug in or install a TV card which has an S-video socket, and connect a DVD player to that. Or one with a 'composite video' phono socket (usually coloured yellow) and connect a VCR to it.

That would do it but, to be frank, the display quality from this lash-up' solution is likely to disappoint. Trying to put a low-res TV/DVD/video display onto a relatively high-res computer monitor is always a compromise. hTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac