Making the switch

lazanda 12:29 12 Dec 06

After the endless battle with the PC virus and hijackers I am thinking of switching to a macbook. The only problem is I know absolutley nothing about them whatsoever.

Can anyone tell me any do's or don'ts (including do it, or don't do it!) and any tips on buying one? I currently use outlook/word/excel etc quite a bit and do the odd bit of video viewing although I am not into editing anymore. I also upkeep my website using frontpage 2000. I am mainly a personal PC user with a small amout of use for my business.

Should I go mac will I need to convert all this stuff and buy heaps of new software? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Paul.

rawprawn 12:51 12 Dec 06

I am very impressed by Mac's. They have all their own software, but the new ones will run windows as well so you wouldn't have a transfer problem. I think you can try them for 30 days free.
I haven't got a Mac but I am seriously considering it when I next change my old Dell.(5 years old this Xmas)
I don't know where you live, but look for an Apple shop near you. There is one in the Trafford Centre nr Manchester, and it is worth paying a visit to have a play around and get the feel of them.

Kate B 13:01 12 Dec 06

Macs are lovely - they just work and they don't get viruses and other nastyware. Your version of Office won't work with your new Mac, though, unless you buy a copy of XP and set up a dual boot on the Mac with OSX (which you can do with Apple's Boot Camp software). However, rather than shell out and mess about with a dual boot system, you could use the Mac version of Open Office click here - if there isn't yet a version of it for the Intel Macs there soon will be.

All the usual formats work on a Mac: if you have a zillion jpgs, they'll be fine on the Mac. The only thing I'm not sure about is Frontpage but I'm sure someone else will be able to advise.

I use both a Windows machine and a two-year-old Mac laptop and they network with each other fine and I have no problems at all with them. If you're fed up with the hassle of maintaining a Windows installation and don't want to play games, go for the Mac.

I do suggest that you go and play with one in a shop - ideally an Apple Store if you're near one as the staff there are great; otherwise I'd suggest John Lewis. The Mac OS takes a little getting used to as some of the terminology is different but essentially it's similar enough to Windows for the transition to be painless.

Technotiger 13:38 12 Dec 06

Hi, my son uses a Mac to produce his own Sports Magazine in Lanzarote - something like Frontpage?

click here

lazanda 10:46 13 Dec 06

Thanks again everyone. This gives me enough info to be going on with.

Best Wishes

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…