making startup quicker

palinka 12:55 28 Jul 06

When people write about this the advice is usually to delete via msconfig>startup everything except AV and firewall.
Here is the list of what I have running;I had no idea there were so many! please can someone advise what I can safely delete.
OS is Win ME. Msgtag
Scan registry
Task monitor
Load power profile
ABBYY community agent
NvCplDaemon
Nwiz
Load GM
Disc detector
AVG7_CC
AVG7_AMSVR
Quick time task
BT WLAN
SMC service
AVG7_EMC
Load power profile
Scheduling agent
*State Mgr
HC Reminder
StillImageMonitor
Smc Service
KB891711
KB918547
Microsoft office startup
UD Agent

Giggle n' Bits 13:03 28 Jul 06

some are identified here but maybe say you have quick time and there is a icon in the system tray, then right click on quick time in sys tray select prefferences then I think its the second option where in there you can turn of icon in system tray.

There are loads of little a big tweeks, keeping the system tray icons down, a god clean up like running disk clean-up daily if you use the web a lot or use ccleaner weekly

finding what programmes run in the background when you are in windows Me you select Ctrl-Alt-Del key all at the same time and this will bring up a window that shows things happening.

woodchip 13:22 28 Jul 06

First if you are not running a laptop, remove tick on Load power profile.

All these
Load power profile
Scheduling agent
*State Mgr
HC Reminder

Deff Remove this, Microsoft office startup
UD Agent You can run as you need it

This must keep throwing up a message remove it HC Reminder

ACOLYTE 13:29 28 Jul 06

As an addition to what woodchip has mentioned i would also remove:

Nwiz
Quick time task
NvCplDaemon
ABBYY community agent

Just some that are not required at startup and for the running of the pc in general.

woodchip 13:31 28 Jul 06

I think NvCplDaemon is for grapics card but you can try it, you may not need it

rezeeg 13:34 28 Jul 06

Startup Inspector free from click here will let you know what to keep.

arris 13:53 28 Jul 06

That Startup Inspector gives out false info. It claims things like wdfmgr.exe is a worm and winlogon.exe to be a virus.

ed-0 14:06 28 Jul 06

" When people write about this the advice is usually to delete via msconfig>startup everything except AV and firewall. "

That advise is for XP.

You are using ME.

€dstowe 14:23 28 Jul 06

I have StartupInspector on all of my studio PCs and my home ones. It does not tell me that those things are worms or viruses - that isn't the function of the program anyway.

winlogon.exe could well be a virus in your system as it is one disguise of the W32.Netsky.D virus.

wdfmgr.exe is part of Windows Media Player. It isn't necessary to have WMP in the startup and this being so, wdfmgr.exe shouldn't appear.

Sethhaniel 14:25 28 Jul 06

winlogon.exe or winIogon.exe make sure that it is an 'L' not an 'I'
This file is part of the windows operating system and is required for normal logon/logoff function. On systems not regularly security updated it is also funerable to both w32.netsky and backdoor prorat trojans amongst others. If these viruses attach themselves to the file, then it becomes a threat. The genuine winlogon.exe resides in system32 folder, and also in service pack uninstall files, so any other place is a virus, BUT it can also be a virus in system32 folder if trojan has attached itself to it.

wdfmgr.exe IF you have media player 9/10 it is part of that if not it could be malware which can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection!

palinka 15:32 28 Jul 06

thank you all very much; I'll work through all your suggestions as soon as I have time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…