Making a start with Frontpage 2002

STEVE71163 09:33 21 Jun 03

I have now had Frontpage 2002 for about two weeks now and seem to be taking one step forward and two back. Are their any good books that cover frontpage and web design basics ?

Many Thanks

Forum Editor 10:16 21 Jun 03

will be familiar to many, it certainly is to me.

I'm not a lover of software tutorial books - I think there's no substitute for learning software by using it. In addition, the FrontPage help files are pretty good, and I think that if you persevere you'll find that lights suddenly start going on. Keep trying, and keep coming to this thread with specific requests for help.

If you want the additional help of a printed tutorial, and have Acrobat reader installed,
click here
for some excellent help.

If you don't have Acrobat reader yet
click here
and download it - free.

STEVE71163 10:26 21 Jun 03

Thanks FE. I will keep at it until i can do what i need to do :0). On my existing website that i had done for me it has a page that you get to before the home page,How would i get one like this using fp also the silver border on the pages. The site is click here

Forum Editor 11:32 21 Jun 03

is sent to load a web site it looks for a file on the domain that has the filename: index.html or default.html

It will load this page by default, and if you want to display a page before the homepage proper all you have to do is name it index (FP will add the .htm automatically).

Then, on this page, place a hyperlink (most people use the word 'Enter') that points to your real homepage - to which you give the filename: home.htm

As far as the silver border is concerned, that's a background. FP has many backgrounds of its own, but you can use anything you like, including the one on your existing site. If you FTP into the existing web you'll see a file called: bkgrnd.gif or something similar - you may have to search through the images. Transfer the file to your hard drive using FTP and then tell FP to set it as your site background. Use the Format menu and select 'Background'. Tell FP you want to use a picture, and navigate to the location to which you transferred the other site's background image. Click on the image file, and FP will do the rest.

STEVE71163 11:37 21 Jun 03

Thanks FE. Will i be able to access this site as it was put together for me and has not got fp extensions?

STEVE71163 09:28 22 Jun 03

Can anyone please tell me how to create more buttons on my site to navigate around the site?

S Walch 14:32 22 Jun 03

Well - me dislikeing FP immensly - I can't tell you how to do it.

but I can advise you to look at the following site for any web-coding problem you might find:

click here

magic 16:11 23 Jun 03

Hi STEVE71163

I don't have any technical advice for you, but I have just completed a course on web content. My advice to you is get your contact details on your frontpage! Essential to a small and simple site like yours.

magic

Forum Editor 23:54 23 Jun 03

and password you will be able to open the site in FrontPage - regardless of whether it was created in some other application. You can use the import instruction in the file menu to import the site into FP in its entirety.

Once you have the site on your hard drive you can make what changes you like. Bear in mind that whatever program created it the pages will be coded in HTML, so you can make changes in FP and then upload to the server again. The act of uploading the site from your machine will overwrite the existing site, so make sure you're happy about everything before you do it. If you don't want to use any of the FP special features like hover buttons and animated text effects it won't matter if the FP extensions are not on the server.

STEVE71163 11:45 24 Jun 03

Thanks FE. What are the reasons for a site loading slowly and what can i do about it? I have nearly got together a site using a fp theme that i bought off of the web but it is showing that the home page would take 38 seconds which is to slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced