Making a secure/safe partition

Dumfy 19:38 31 May 05

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is using XP Pro and Partition Magic 7.0. What I'd like to do is create a back-up partition on the hard drive for him onto which I can image the main drive. I've done this, but what I'd like to do now is hide the partition or drive to make it invisible and be impossible to delete/change or play around with.

The reason for this is my mate has a tendancy to go diving into stuff and ends up creating havoc. This is why I have this idea about creating a back-up for him so that when it all goes horribly wrong, I can just re-install the image and save myself some time. I'd like to make sure the image or drive can't be accessed or accidentally deleted.

Can this be done either in Windows or Partition Magic?

Hope I've explained this clearly enough!

Best Regards

xania 19:53 31 May 05

This has worked for me in 98SE - should also be ok in XP. You need unused space on the hard drive large enough to take the C: drive. IN PM, select the C: drive an invole the copy facility. Run this to create a new partition and name thios something like <Copy C>. This will them be available as and when required. If you need to recreate, simple delete the C: drive, then copy <Copy C> into the original location, make C: active and off you go again.

To hide/unhide/ any partition apart from C:\, select the drive and right click. To make active a promary partition, select the drive and right click. In each case, the options will be there for you to implement.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 31 May 05

run "diskmgmt.msc" and removing the drive letter

Dumfy 21:03 31 May 05

Thanks for the help, guys.

If I run "diskmgmt.msc" and remove the drive letter, what do I need to run to make it available again when I need to access it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 31 May 05

Just put drive letter back again latter. but you will need to beable to at least get into safe mode.

Or add the harddrive to your PC and put the drive letter back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:21 31 May 05

The easiest way with Win XP is to use the TweakUI power toy from Msoft. Go to Start/Run and type in "tweakui" (without the quotes).

Go to My Computer/Drives and uncheck the drive/partition(s) you want hidden. Click "Apply" or "OK" when finished.

If you have XP but not Tweak UI you can download it here...
click here

For Win NT, 2000, and XP you can use the following Registry edit:

*Be sure to back up the Registry before proceeding
click here

Open the Registry Editor by going to Start/Run and typing in "regedit" (without the quotes). Find your way to...

Click on "Explorer".

Double-click the "NoDrives" key in the right column. If you don't find a "NoDrives" registry key, just right-click in the right pane and choose "New/DWORD Value" then name the key "NoDrives".

You'll see a value like "0000 00 00 00 00". This is where the fun starts. The four sets of double zeros (after the "0000") are where you'll enter the values for the drive/partitions. Now, stay with me on this—it's not as complicated as it sounds:

The first column is for drives A-H, the second for I-P, the third for Q-X, and the fourth for Y-Z.

The values for each drive are as follows:

1 - A I Q Y
2 - B J R Z
4 - C K S
8 - D L T
16 - E M U
32 - F N V
64 - G O W
80 - H P X

So, let's say you want to hide drive D. In the first column you would put "08". For drive K you would put "04" in the second column.

But what if you want to hide more than one drive in a column? Simply add the values together: D+E = 8+16 = 24. So in the first column you would put "24".

Still baffled? If you have XP then go get TweakUI and save yourself the math.

Whichever method you use, you can rest easy knowing that the files on that drive or partition are less accessible to other users.

mattyc_92 21:21 31 May 05

The easiest thing would just to use the "hide" option... This HIDES the partition from Windows, but not from MS-DOS, so you can restore it without having to "make it visible"

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:23 31 May 05

use a small external HD and you can take it with you. Saves a lot of messing about.....partitions are so 1900's ;-)))

Dumfy 01:31 01 Jun 05

Cheers everyone. Very helpful advice as per usual.
I'll give it a go - and if he breaks it, he gets a slap!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…